Just Got Done Claying The Ss 2am

SSpower44

Thanks man well my waxing remedy was tought to me by my fire captain...(huge detailing guy) I wash and dry it real good, obviously in shade i use meguires clay bar kit and then i apply meguires 26 yellow wax....they make a cleaner wax if u need it, i apply the wax with a orbital buffer and let it sit on the truck for a good amount of time(hour or sometimes more) than i just remove with a terry towel (flipping and switching off towels). Comes out really nice and smooth, its amazing. Don't know to much about adams, but for now i like what i use and looks great!!

:ph34r:

Thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

Truck looks great! Is there a big difference in Clay bars? Is one brand better than another? Looks like most of the guys use Adams products, just wondering if it makes a big difference, I can run to auto zone and get the meguires clay bar, or get the adams online. Just looking for opinions, Thanks! :confused:

Clay is clay is clay is clay... literally... there is only one source for clay in the US currently due to an air tight patent held by the clay magic company (which expires in 2011 - so be prepared for the market to be instantly flooded with some primo clay) The only difference in the clays currently available is their grade.

Generally the yellow clay you get at the local store is the most mild variety, what I don't like about it is the fact its too sticky and doesn't sheer/pickup bonded contamination as well as other bars.

Next step up would be the medium variety, for the mostpart blue and purple in color, these are much better at sheering/pulling up bonded contamination than the yellow OTC bars and are still safe for use on even the most delicate paint as they'll cause only marginal marring that can easily be polished out.

Most aggressive level of clay is something you'd never want for use on your car... its actually gritty... on the level of a sandpaper and is intended for some pretty gnarly uses. No one with a factory paintjob should even need this type of bar.

All that being said the main reason I'd say Adam's bar is a good deal is they give you a LARGE chunk of clay (200grams) and include an air tight jar for storage. This means you can tear the bar in half, keep one half in the jar for later, and use the other half on the car. The jar is nice compared to the cheap snap case most bars come with too b/c it keeps the bar from drying out.

I've got some crazy (illegal) import clays right now that are heads above whats here in the states currently, and if it weren't for that damn patent everyone could get their hands on this stuff. The clays available outside the US are nice and soft, don't drag or leave trace behind on the paint and are extremely effective. Can't wait till 2011.

Truck looks great! Is there a big difference in Clay bars? Is one brand better than another? Looks like most of the guys use Adams products, just wondering if it makes a big difference, I can run to auto zone and get the meguires clay bar, or get the adams online. Just looking for opinions, Thanks! :confused:

I wouldn't waste my money on ordering a clay bar. Go to your local auto store and pic up a Mothers or Meguiars kit. I prefer the Mothers, it's one of the only "over the counter" products that I use, besides their chrome polish. However, there are some differences in clay kits. Some clays are more aggresive than others, but I wouldn't go more aggresive than the Mothers kit.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)