Oil Change Intervals

stg313

Friend at work resets his DIC "Oil Life" once then on the next one he'll do a change. He's got a 2003 Silverado 2500 6.0 and 90% of the time is towing 2 Gravely industrial lawn mowers. Yes after his 10 hours of work is done where I work he mows until sundown.

Anyway he hasn't had any problems except for the ever so popular intake manifold gasket leak and I doubt that was caused by his interval of oil changes.

As for me. I don't do any towing so I'm going to try this or change it when I hit 1 year. I doubt I'd hit two "Oil Life" cycles in a year due to I only drive about 5K a year :driving:

Edited by Tzer (see edit history)

As stated in the title, I run Mobile 1 full synthetic and Im wondering how many miles I should go between oil changes. My mechanic swears that every 3k miles is excessive. Thoughts?

I run Mobil 1 5W-30 and change mine every 3k.

How do i reset my oil life meter? just hold down the arrow button just like you reset all the other settings? Obviously I havent tried this but I think its a good idea now.

Also, for regular Mobile 1, yall think 6k is fine?

How do i reset my oil life meter? just hold down the arrow button just like you reset all the other settings? Obviously I havent tried this but I think its a good idea now.

Also, for regular Mobile 1, yall think 6k is fine?

Yes, hold the arrow button until "OIL LIFE RESET" pops up, then it will show 100% on the Oil Life meter. If you DO NOT have steering wheel controls, you must turn the key to RUN, then fully depress and release the gas pedal 3 times within 5 seconds of turning the key. "OIL LIFE RESET" will pop up if you have done it correctly....

FWIW, I change the oil in my SSS every 3k or 6 months, whichever comes first, Mobil 1 5W-30 and a K&N filter. My Tahoe gets Shell synthetic and an AC Delco filter every 5k....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

iamwithstupid.gif Every 1000-2000 miles, or 3 months maximum with M1 5w-30 fully synthetic.

Do you have some setup that requires that crazy short interval? Like I said above, my mechanic (a former NHRA and IHRA top fuel dragster pit crew chief, should know his shit) says that even 3k between changes is crazy and I should allow at least 6k if not more with an oil of that quality.

I follow the recomendations and cut them in half to make sure the truck is running top notch. I think even 3 months is too long for an oil service imo, since I live in the NE and follow extremely strict service intervals for harsh conditions. Factors include conditions such as climate and how you drive. Ive heard some issues w/M1 and the synthetic oil so I make sure its always fresh.

I follow the recomendations and cut them in half to make sure the truck is running top notch. I think even 3 months is too long for an oil service imo, since I live in the NE and follow extremely strict service intervals for harsh conditions. Factors include conditions such as climate and how you drive. Ive heard some issues w/M1 and the synthetic oil so I make sure its always fresh.

Throwing your money away....but it's your money...