Ok I Need Some Help With My Brakes

catdaddy300

my abs light has been turning on and my brakes have been feeling like they are sliding when i come to a complete top also i have a really loud squeeking sound from my driver side but my brakes dont need to be changed any ideas

my abs light has been turning on and my brakes have been feeling like they are sliding when i come to a complete top also i have a really loud squeeking sound from my driver side but my brakes dont need to be changed any ideas

Sounds like you may have a front hub starting to go bad, the abs sensor is built into the hub assy., I would check the front hub first.

is the squeaking you hear when you are applying the brakes or at all speeds? If it is when you are applying the brakes, and your pads (both) are fine, and rotors (both inside and out) are not grooved, your rotors and pads might be glazed over. If that is the case usually you can take the pads off and use a wire wheel to clean the brake dust and glazing from the pads and wipe down the rotors with brake cleaner. You might have to get the rotors turned also if you see burnt spots on the mating surface.

If it's squeaking at all speeds and it sounds more like a hum then you might have a bad hub assembly. If so replace both.

If you are sliding to a stop it sounds more like a braking issue and you might have a caliper that is hanging up and heating the brake fluid and that requires more pedal pressure to stop the vehicle and that can trigger the abs. This can also be due to the glazing of the rotors if that is the case.

If you want to check the wheel bearing, jack that side up where the wheel is off the ground, grab the top and bottom of the wheel and rock the wheel in and out ( top in, bottom out, etc) If you have any play by doing so you either have a bad hub or something else bad in the front end. You can also check the hub by rotating the wheel and holding on to the torsion bar and feel for anything like a grinding or thumping as the wheel is rotating.

I also believe your truck has a wheel speed sensor that is not in the hub assembly. If there is a sensor that is bolted in or next to the hub on the back, take that off and clean it. Sometimes the sensor will be corroded and cause the ABS to apply and release and send a faulty ABS signal.

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

is the squeaking you hear when you are applying the brakes or at all speeds? If it is when you are applying the brakes, and your pads (both) are fine, and rotors (both inside and out) are not grooved, your rotors and pads might be glazed over. If that is the case usually you can take the pads off and use a wire wheel to clean the brake dust and glazing from the pads and wipe down the rotors with brake cleaner. You might have to get the rotors turned also if you see burnt spots on the mating surface.

If it's squeaking at all speeds and it sounds more like a hum then you might have a bad hub assembly. If so replace both.

If you are sliding to a stop it sounds more like a braking issue and you might have a caliper that is hanging up and heating the brake fluid and that requires more pedal pressure to stop the vehicle and that can trigger the abs. This can also be due to the glazing of the rotors if that is the case.

If you want to check the wheel bearing, jack that side up where the wheel is off the ground, grab the top and bottom of the wheel and rock the wheel in and out ( top in, bottom out, etc) If you have any play by doing so you either have a bad hub or something else bad in the front end. You can also check the hub by rotating the wheel and holding on to the torsion bar and feel for anything like a grinding or thumping as the wheel is rotating.

I also believe your truck has a wheel speed sensor that is not in the hub assembly. If there is a sensor that is bolted in or next to the hub on the back, take that off and clean it. Sometimes the sensor will be corroded and cause the ABS to apply and release and send a faulty ABS signal.

My '03 has the speed sensor built into the hub, they may have changed these in '04.dunno.gif