Reverse Metallic Clunk

eagledax

Just a quick question for the group. I noticed that there is a loud metallic clunk when I shift into reverse. I have a little over 85,000 miles on the truck with no major work on the transmission. It doesn't make the same noise when I shift into any other gear. I apologize in advance it this has been asked before. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Just a quick question for the group. I noticed that there is a loud metallic clunk when I shift into reverse. I have a little over 85,000 miles on the truck with no major work on the transmission. It doesn't make the same noise when I shift into any other gear. I apologize in advance it this has been asked before. Any suggestions would be helpful.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE, NOT EVEN ONE REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might get more help if it was put in the right section.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showforum=13

It could be your universal joints.

It is hard to say without knowing or hearing where the sound is coming from.

Is it when you put it in reverse and start to move or when you put it in reverse with the foot on the brake?

Does it feel like it is slipping or you have to give it more gas to go in reverse?

Well you did post it just the other day. Either people are tying to figure it out or maybe they felt that you fixed the problem. Also if it sounds like that I would check your front diff to see if you have metal flakes in the oil. If not then I would say something either went or is going in the trans..

I didn't realize it was in the wrong section, I guess it would have helped to put it in the transmission secition. It has been a rough week. It only makes the sound when I have my foot on the break and shift into reverse. I will start with getting the U joint checked and go from there. Thanks for the tips.