Help with towing setup for travel trailer...

marc_w

Marc w:

I have a 22' Aljo that weighs in at about 5100lbs dry and somewhere around 7000lbs loaded and the weight distributing hitch is the safest way to go. It allows the the weight to be shifted to the front axle of the vehicle and the trailer tires instead of the rear axle of the vehicle. Not only will it level it out but drastically improve the handling the and ride of your rig. It is worth the money just for the safety factor alone.

Regards,

Ryan

Do they make an AIR-LIFT airbag system for the ss? i had one on my last 5.3 ecsb 2wd and that did the trick, then tounge weight wasnt an issue, just level it out and drive...

Yes, Air-Lift makes one for the SS. It is lowered trucks. I have it on my truck and it works great.

I've towed just about everything, and the weight distribution hitch is definitely the nicest way to go. Ad the Anti-Sway bar for when you're passing or being passed, and you've got a towing rig.

Right now, I've got a 31 foot camper, with the $300 equalizer hitch, and I believe the sway bar was around $100. It pulls like a dream.

Thats why I said get the Roadmaster Active suspension It only helps when needed

and it installs so easy.  It keeps my ss level even with the 450lbs tongue weight I have and it help control sway also It will work for any time you load your truck yet wont effect daily driveing like other leaf load springs check them out.  Summit racing sells them for $170.

I have been towing various trailers with different rides for many moons and

These do work. Easy install and well priced.

For safe towing you still must use the weight distribution hitch, electric brake control.

The Roadmaster system helps with sway, but if you find your trailer twicthy you can get them sway bars(really worth their weight in gold when it gets real windy).

But the #1 Very important thing (that most do not do!!) is to Properly Load Your Trailer

- Do not Overload

- Fill your water tanks when you arrive at or near destination

- empty your waste tanks at the dumping station before leaving campsite

- Leave your Mother in Law at home :D

- CHECK & ADJUST ALL TIRE PRESSURES

- El Checkos El Pressionas Si Tire onios Si sinior...

- Buy a set of Slip on trailer towing mirrors

Last but not least, do not forget to bring fresh supply of brewsky (Canadian brew is best, more punch for the buck).

Then all you have to do then is swat the blackflies, horseflies, Nile Virus infested mosquitos, Lime Disease deer tick, rabid squirrels and groundhogs, hide under trees to hide from UV Rays and stay inside so the acid rain does not get you...

Aaaahhhhhh nature.....

Kidding aside, Happy Trailering, :thumbs:

Dr Mike

I agree the best and safest way to tow something heavy is with a weight distributing hitch. The only problem is if you cant get a weight dist. hitch for your trailer the way my trailer is designed no weight dist. hitches work on it. So I got the Roadmaster system for my application it works wonderful .

Archived