Whining Noise At 0-1/4 Throttle

Hey guys,

So i searched for quite a while today, and didnt find really what im asking about, so if its been discussed i apologize. Whats going on is, while just cruising, when giving the truck about quater throttle just to keep up with the speed limit, there is a whining noise. Being new to the AWD system, and the truck i dont know if this is normal. It gets louder the more throttle, but disappears if you give it enough to downshift. Seems its between the 1k to 2k RPM range. Any thoughts? Ive has 4-wheel drive trucks in the past that make a similiar noise under similiar RPM ranges so i wasnt sure what to think of it. If someone could help me on this i'd really appreciate it.

Okay just researched for about another 2 hours, and found the "growl" topics. I think this may be the noise im hearing. That being said are you guys seeing a noticeable difference, or if im lucky a complete fix to this when changing the fluid? Like i said im new to the truck and the whole system, so i'm just trying to get some tips on what to do.confused.gif

I went through bearing damage and replacement in the front diff of my 03 AWD.

In my case the noise was most apparent as I lightly accelerated from steady speed at 20 to 40 MPH. (My noise actually quieted down under hard acceleration.)

I drained the fluid, had lots of "Hair" on the magnetic drain plug. (Metal shavings, no large metal chunks). Refilled the diff and the noise was reduced by about 30%.

I had all the bearings in the front diff. replaced and soon realized just how bad the noise and vibration had been.

The SSS is the first all wheel drive I've owned and I wasn't sure how much of the noise and vibration, I was feeling, was just part of the AWD experience. Come to find out; These things can be pretty quiet and smooth.

These repairs can be pretty expensive. I've got a Bud and my repair was $900.

My advise is to drain your front diff and see what sticks to your drain plug. Refill is pretty easy with a piece of hose over the fill spout of the oil bottle. (There is a post with pictures of this job in the "How to" section.)

Thanks man. I'll be changing out the front diff. fluid tomorrow, hoping for the best. Not looking forward to possibly having to empty my wallet on this one. Im not feeling or hearing any kind of vibration at all, just the whine that i spoke of so fingers crossed fingersx.gif Thanks again for your help.

So changed out the fluid today, and thank god what a difference. There is now almost no noise at all. Very faint if you reaaaally listen for it, but im happy for the time being. Thanks again for your help man

So changed out the fluid today, and thank god what a difference. There is now almost no noise at all. Very faint if you reaaaally listen for it, but im happy for the time being. Thanks again for your help man

Glad I could be a help, Toom, and really glad to hear that you've gotten good results from the fluid change. If it was me, and your diff stay's quiet for a couple weeks or a month, I would go to Synthetic fluid, (If you didn't on this change).

Anytime you can dodge an expensive repair means more bucks free'd up for mod's, EH?

Edited to ask;

By the way; What did your drain plug look like?

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

I did use full synthetic this time around, after reading the how-to i went with the Mobil 1 stuff. Also the drain plug had some shavings on it, but no chunks or excesive metal. Fluid was a little dark and had a silvery hue to it. All in all after doing this and guessing its probably the first time its been changed, this weekend im going to tackle the rear diff and transfer case. Over the past couple days ive noticed another whine, but sounds like its from directly under the cab. I'mm guessing transfer case. The whine i'm hearing now is very very faint, nothing like the first one. Thanks again though, and agreed dodging the bullet on repair bills definitly helps with some mod money.

Wellll, didn't fix it for long. After driving the truck for the day, i wake up and head to the store, and bingo the howl is back. This time IT GOT WORSE! I changed the t-case fluid today, hoping maybe that might help but that also did nothing. I made sure the oil level in the diff was good, and it was. At this point i'm not sure what to do nextconfused.gif im not sure if i should keep troubleshooting, or just hand it over to a mechanic. Anyone have any idea's? If not she'll be in the shop tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Wellll, didn't fix it for long. After driving the truck for the day, i wake up and head to the store, and bingo the howl is back. This time IT GOT WORSE! I changed the t-case fluid today, hoping maybe that might help but that also did nothing. I made sure the oil level in the diff was good, and it was. At this point i'm not sure what to do nextconfused.gif im not sure if i should keep troubleshooting, or just hand it over to a mechanic. Anyone have any idea's? If not she'll be in the shop tomorrow.

Hey Toom,

Sorry I lost track of this thread for a few days.

How you making out with your truck?

John

Soo the update is, the truck is going to the shop tonight and my front end is being rebuilt this weekend. Bearings, seals, spider gears, and a few other things. its a bummer, but the guy who's doing it is someone i know and is a pretty reputable differential service mechanic. He does all the diff. work for the shop that i bring all of my vehicles to, and 6 or 7 around the area. He's doing everything for 800 so i guess i can't complain too much. Plus he's doing it as a side job over the weekend so i'll have the truck back by Monday. I'll let you know how it comes out.

James

Edited by ToomSS (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

So got my truck back a day before the long to trip to Carlisle. The verdict was that the retaining clip that holds the preload for the bearing had snapped...which the nut that holds the bearing in had loosened itself all the way and was rubbing on my ring and pinion. Needless to say is scored the crap out of it. He said that there was 7 or 8 large chunks of metal that fell out when he tore it apart. Luckily, i dont have to replace the ring and pinion. He replaced the bearings, axle seals, spider gears, he fabricated a new retaining clip, and a couple other things. The noise is completely gone, and there is no shaking at highway speeds now. So im happy.

• 1 month later...