Single Gauge Pillar Pod.

Cramer

I just got an Innovate LC-1 with the gauge and ordered a single pod for the pillar. Well I didn't like the color difference or the fact that it looked like dung thrown on the pillar so I decided I would do it right and mold it in.

I started by sanding down the pillar till it was some what smooth.

Located where I wanted the pod to go, and used adhesive to hold it temporarly.

Then I mixed up some fiberglass resin, applied some fiberglass sheet (3 - 2" strips and 1 - 1" strip).

I then cut a few larger strips of fiberglass and applied them over the smaller strips to feather the fiberglass out. ( BTW I drilled 10 holes where the fiberglass was so the resin and glass would flow to the inside and allow it to be secured from the inside and not wrapped around the pillar.)

I then sanded the fiberglass resin down with 80-150-220 grit and feathered it in to the pillar.

I applied Dura-Glas over the fiberglassed area and feathered it out a few inches farther than the resin was and sanded it down when it was dry.

I used CUZ polyester body filler over the Dura-Glas and the rest of the pillar.

I sanded it all down with 80-320 grit, and used Pirhana glazing putty over everything.

Sanded it down with 220-600 grit. (wet sanded)

Used sandable primer and applied 3 coats. Sanded with 600 grit wet

Then coated it in Duplicolor Charcoal Metallic (closest that I could find to match) with 4 coats.

Let it dry then applied 5 coats of clear over it all.

To me it turned out pretty good for my first time doing anything like this. I did find two pin holes after it was all said and done but the rest is very smooth.

Here are some pics. let me know what you all think.

I will be doing the other pillar along with some more of the trim soon. I might get some pics of them while I am doing it.

post-17939-127580463948_thumb.jpg

post-17939-127580465247_thumb.jpg

post-17939-127580466694_thumb.jpg

post-17939-12758046842_thumb.jpg

post-17939-127580469412_thumb.jpg