More Tranny Problems

Well, driving to work today at a constant speed of 75 all of the sudden my truck just reved as if it had no load on the tranny. I gave it more gas and it finally caught at about 4500 rpm's and at this point I realized that it was only catching 2nd gear. I ran it down to 2nd and no change other than it now pulled me down when I let off the gas. When I put it back in 3rd or OD it felt like there was no drag and only caught back up when I got the rpm's back up to 4500. I don't know what this could be. I have a feeling that it may be the solenoids on the valve body but I don't know. This was a built tranny but I twisted off the input shaft so I pulled it apart and replaced the input shaft myself and since then it has been a little quirky. Now I have to see if I want to rebuild it again myself or just buckle down and buy a fully built tranny (Looking at the FLT Level 7). I just don't seem to have any luck with tranny's... :(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, driving to work today at a constant speed of 75 all of the sudden my truck just reved as if it had no load on the tranny. I gave it more gas and it finally caught at about 4500 rpm's and at this point I realized that it was only catching 2nd gear. I ran it down to 2nd and no change other than it now pulled me down when I let off the gas. When I put it back in 3rd or OD it felt like there was no drag and only caught back up when I got the rpm's back up to 4500. I don't know what this could be. I have a feeling that it may be the solenoids on the valve body but I don't know. This was a built tranny but I twisted off the input shaft so I pulled it apart and replaced the input shaft myself and since then it has been a little quirky. Now I have to see if I want to rebuild it again myself or just buckle down and buy a fully built tranny (Looking at the FLT Level 7). I just don't seem to have any luck with tranny's... :(

go with a professional builder like FLT and things will change. Andy is the guy to talk to there and get a price from, i've talked to Andy, Vince and Chuck and they all go way out of their way to make sure your a happy customer.

Brad

Just got a reply back from Andy today and it looks like I'll be getting the extreme duty level 7 4l65e. After 3 with this being the 4th, I'm tired of messing around with these tranny's. Thanks for the information about Andy, I am gonna only deal with him. Thanks again

Cody

Just got a reply back from Andy today and it looks like I'll be getting the extreme duty level 7 4l65e. After 3 with this being the 4th, I'm tired of messing around with these tranny's. Thanks for the information about Andy, I am gonna only deal with him. Thanks again

Cody

thats the same trans i have and the one i put in SS muscle truck's truck, your gonna love it. Next time you talk to Andy tell him Brad from Wisconsin says hi. good luck with the truck!

FLT makes an awesome trans and there customer service is great. your going to love your trans cheers.gif

I second that! The folks at FLT are the best to deal with. They do just what they say they will do. I have been to their shop and it is very nice.

CD

Ok, after hearing from a couple of you about how great FLT is, I was sold on the FLT level 7 but after talk to my pops, I am now looking at having Hughes Transmissions do my tranny for the simple fact they are about 4 miles from my house and they tell me they can build the 4L65 to the same specs as FLT for a bit less. I am also considering them because they can also do a street/strip 900HP rated 4l80E setup that will adapt my transfer case with the adpter harness and a S/C 300 11" stall for around $3700. Then I would only have to relocate the tranny cross member, modify the exhaust a little and the the drive shafts shortened and lengthened accordingly plus need to find out how to re-flash through HP tuners to recognize the 4L80E. I beleive I can do this for no more than $5k...this is only about $800-$900 more than the FLT level 7 tranny. I'd like some opinions but I think I may be leaning toward the 4L80E conversion...Let me know guys... :thumbs:

Edited by 56chevywagon (see edit history)

have you called FLT and talked to them about a simular set up and then what their price would be for that same set up? Does hughs have anin house dyno to test all their new trans before the customer gets them. Do they specialize in LS1 trans or the old 350's and 400's. Have you checked their reputation on ls1tech? All things i would do first. not that they are bad by any means but i have not heard of them in the trans market.

I like your plan. I went the other route and found who was building the 4L65e's in my area and had him do mine, was chaeper and woking out fine, but he had alot of guys beating on his stuff so I felt it was woorth it.

I'm seriously looking at the 4L80E swap but I need to find out if someone makes the modified crossmember or am I going to have to make my own. I noticed someone over on LS1TECH did a swap on a $WD and modified his own. If anyone has any info, please let me know. Thanks

Cody

get in touch with supersub from this web site. His name is Ray, he did the 80 swap and is a guy that can help you out with a custom cross member.

Superstreet performance 651-226-3109

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showuser=8283

Ray is as good as they come.