More Tranny Problems

Ok, I've made my decision. I'm going with Hughes but...I'm doing the 4L80E conversion. I am putting all the numbers together and it looks like it's gonna run about $5k for everything. So far, I have only found one place that sells the modified crossmember ( www.transmissioncenter.net/4L60E_to_4L80E_Swap.htm ) and they want $330 but you get $160 of that back when they get your old crossmember so it's $170. The driveshafts are gonna cost me about $250 + tax to have them shortened and lengthened, still gotta find a dipstick (about $50), gotta modify the tranny lines and probably need to modify the exhaust where it runs under the tranny. I've got 2 days straight set aside to do all of this so wish me luck.

Edited by 56chevywagon (see edit history)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i haven't seen you talk about adapting the 4l80e to the transfer case. casue its not a direct bolt on from what ive read. i do believe time2kill makes the required adapter for our t-case. a factory 4x4 halfton front drive shaft will work instead of paying to have yours lengthend. good luck. gary

I think so, just hope I can make the time to get it all done, I only have 3 weeks to get it done before I go off on my Navy Reserve 2 weeks out of state...So far, Tranny is being built (should have in about 7 business days), just ordered the crossmember and already had HP Tuners do the segment swap on my tune for the 4L80E...One thing I forgot to throw in was the $5k also includes a Hughes SC 2500-3000 11" stall coverter

i understand. the military takes up alot of time. but in the end once the swap is done it will be worth it. you'll be able to drive the truck like you want to and not worry if her tranny is gonna blow again. keep us posted. gary

Hughes already installs the tranny to transfer case adapter spacer and output shaft, this price also include the harness adapter pigtail with the second speed sensor harness.

Make sure it is not the turned down output shaft,as it will snap!!!! and then you will be having more tranny issue's,make sure it is the adapter that adapts the 4l80 output shaft into the transfer case adapter which is modified to fit the 4l80 shaft,not the cut down shaft sized to fit into the 4l65 size input.It will be weak link in a bulletproof tranny if they do it that way!

Make sure it is not the turned down output shaft,as it will snap!!!! and then you will be having more tranny issue's,make sure it is the adapter that adapts the 4l80 output shaft into the transfer case adapter which is modified to fit the 4l80 shaft,not the cut down shaft sized to fit into the 4l65 size input.It will be weak link in a bulletproof tranny if they do it that way!

I asked about that and it is a billet steel output shaft designed to go into the stock transfer case. They stated that it is as strong as the 4L80E output shaft and state that the tranny is rated to at least 900-1000 fwhp so I'm not worried about it... plus it comes with a 90 day unlimited warranty and a 1 year limited warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, picked up the tranny today...so far this has been great dealing with these guys at Hughes...they delivered on time and worked with me on the parts required for this conversion...now all that is left is to get this bad boy installed...I am still waiting on a few parts from gmpartsdirect but those are just the dust cover, tranny cooler lines, a heat shield and the shifter bracket...I won't be able to really give a final review until the end of the month. I'm doing my military 2 weeks here in another week. I'll keep everyone informed

Edited by 56chevywagon (see edit history)

I would like to verify something if anybody has an answer...The 4L80E that I installed has both speed sensors in it. I have read that the only 2 that I need is the forward one on the tranny and the one in the transfer case...is this true? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cody

Do you also have the wireharness, or rewire schematic of the stock harness. That and tunning should be your last step but it is key as the PCM controlls the 4l6x differently from the 4l8x. the harness should also take care of the various speed sensors from the 80e

I have the main tranny harness and speed sensor harness. I also have the 80E segment added to my current tune file...Right now just waiting on my shifter bracket and new tranny cooler lines, they're supposed to get here on the 13th but I'm gonna be gone till the 24th :( It should be done the weekend after I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seriously looking at the 4L80E swap but I need to find out if someone makes the modified crossmember or am I going to have to make my own. I noticed someone over on LS1TECH did a swap on a $WD and modified his own. If anyone has any info, please let me know. Thanks

Cody

well im pretty sure this place has what you might be looking for. they by far have the most tranny parts you can buy. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4l60e.htm