Aftermarket Transmission Pans

When I had my transmission rebuilt, I went for a bit higher stall converter. Now when I tow, the transmission temps are getting up to 230-340 going up a grade, but with mild weather. I can recall going up steeper grades in 90-100 degree weather and only seeing 190-200 degrees before, with the stock converter. I already have a big honking cooler installed, so I am thinking of adding a aftermarket transmission pan to give some more fluid capacity, which will hopefull help with temps. I am also thinking of a small pusher fan for the transmission cooler, on a thermostat switch so it is not running all the time.

Anybody have any experience/advice on aftermarket pans? Do those pans with the tubes in them help or just a gimmik?

I was thinking of a cast aluminum pan like the B&M 70260, adds 3 quarts of capacity, which will help. It also has some "cooling fins" , which may help a little too.

B&M 70260 - B&M Automatic Transmission Deep Pans

Any issues to worry about with a deeper pan? Will I need a different filter? :confused:

AFAIK, the 4L65E already comes with a deep sump trans pan from the factory. I am not sure how much a finned trans pan is gonna help with controlling temps, enough to make a difference, especially temps that high. Temps that high would seriously concern me that something is wrong, 220* is concidered to be the danger zone. IMO your best bet would be to add a controllable cooling fan to help bring temps down. I don't know how cold it gets there, but have you thought about bypassing the radiator portion of your trans cooler lines and just using the aux cooler?

This link will let you see what lies ahead of you with your trans running at those temps.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/TransTemp.htm

How big of a stall do you have in it now?

I would be worried about the internals of the trans if you have ran at that high of temps for much of a time.

You might want to do a fluid change and flush asap and make sure you don't have a clogged cooler or junk in the filter too. If you haven't changed the fluid since the rebuild you can have some crap built up in your filter or cooler that can be the cause if this.

Here is what I am going to do, as soon as funds allow. I already have the larger trans cooler with dual perma cool 8" Fans. but at the moment the fans are on a relay and switch which makes them user dependant. Instead of that I am going to use the Spal PWM V3 controller on it own temp sensor. That unit will control one fan like the 08+ truck fans. which is nice. Turn on temp will be 170* with fan 1 at 50% power. As temp increases, the fan speed will also increase. At 185* fan one will be at 100% power and fan 2 will be comanded on...

Hope this gives you a good alternative

Shop arround, I have seen this kit as low as $110

Spal PWM v3

This link will let you see what lies ahead of you with your trans running at those temps.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/TransTemp.htm

How big of a stall do you have in it now?

I would be worried about the internals of the trans if you have ran at that high of temps for much of a time.

You might want to do a fluid change and flush asap and make sure you don't have a clogged cooler or junk in the filter too. If you haven't changed the fluid since the rebuild you can have some crap built up in your filter or cooler that can be the cause if this.

Yeah, I am familiar with those charts, that is why I am concerned and trying to do something about it. I did call the transmission shop that rebuilt it and he said that is to be expected with the high stall converter and while hot, he does not think this would have caused any harm. He did recommend looking into additional cooling efforts.

The new torque converter is only a 2200 stall converter.

I measured my stock pan, it is about 3" deep. There seems to be at least 3 more inches of room between that and the exhaust/frame. There is no temp sender in the pan (some aftermarket pans offer a hole in the pan for a temp sender).

Checked the transmission fluid afterward, still nice clear red color, no funny smells.

I already have a B&M 70274 SuperCooler rated at 29,200 BTU 11"x11"

CRW_1116.jpg

Here is what I am going to do, as soon as funds allow. I already have the larger trans cooler with dual perma cool 8" Fans. but at the moment the fans are on a relay and switch which makes them user dependant. Instead of that I am going to use the Spal PWM V3 controller on it own temp sensor. That unit will control one fan like the 08+ truck fans. which is nice. Turn on temp will be 170* with fan 1 at 50% power. As temp increases, the fan speed will also increase. At 185* fan one will be at 100% power and fan 2 will be comanded on...

Hope this gives you a good alternative

Shop arround, I have seen this kit as low as $110

Spal PWM v3

Call me low-tech, but I was thinking more along the lines of a adjustable mechanical/electrical switch to turn on a pusher fan when things got hot enough.

Only $23 :) I have been using this type of switch to control the supercharger's heat exchanger fans for several years now.

Hayden Automotive 3653 - Hayden Electric Fan Controls

I guess another possible way to augment the cooling is to add one of the B&M Hi-Tek cooler/fan systems they sell. I could add that to my existing cooler, in some out of the way place where it may not be very good without the fan, but would kick in when things get hot.

B&M 70297 - B&M Hi-Tek SuperCoolers with Fans