Header Help

buncy75

just got my new OBX racing headers and pipesdrool.gif . Now i was wonderin about a few things. First thing is header bolts. I thought it would prolly be a good idea to buy new ones. But i need to know torque specs and when and if to re torque than my buddy at work was tellin me some stories about mustangsgreddy.gif (scrap ik lolcoold.gif ) but he was talkin to a local exahaust shop and he said the have probs with them warping if you don't re torque tham and what not. also these headers will delete my cats which is great but i was worring about inspection. and throwin my check engine light. want to know whta i can do to stop that and get it passed. ik a bunch of shops that won't care their not their but it will need to plug in and pass. any input and thought will be graet!!!

yes torque them. drive them for like a couple days and re torque again. always tighten from the inside out when tightening the bolts. as far as cats you could hollow yours out and put them in. also get a custom tune from wheatley or blackbear and get them to delete your sensors on your cats.

( sorry dont know torque specs )

Edited by 03silv.ss (see edit history)

sounds good. im fine with their not being cats ill get it through as long as the computer passes ya know i got plenty of guys with shops that will pass it. i need to find out those torque specs any know??

There is really no need to torque them, tightening them with hand tools should be enough, DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS. Tighten them from the inside out, check them after the first heat cycle, then again a few days later. If you do want to get crazy and use a torque wrench(which is impossible since the wrench won't fit to get all the bolts), first pass tighten them to 11ft lbs, and a second pass of 18 ft lbs after the first heat cycle. Use 3 part metal shim original equipment GM gaskets and you won't have any leaks. You must use Anti-seize compound on the header bolts when installing them...

ok thanks. i been seeing evryone says use the stock gaskets. i won't mess with the torque wrench. not a big deal. now if i can only get my truck.... its been at the shop for a month the dude won't answer the phone can't find him and keys are inside. no spare. prolly gonna have to get a new one cut. pain in my ass.

i have the obx headers and put them on another truck as well, your gonna love them, they are a great product for the price. As far as torque, use your head if you turn enough bolts on your truck you'll know when they are good enough, i have never "torqued" the headers yet...and they have been off many times. i also have never retorqued them either and have never got a leak. I would use the obx gaskets i used them on both trucks and they seal great, point of fact i didn't like the stock gaskets and i would not put them back on my truck, but thats just my small opinion. I took a chance and used these last time on both trucks and so far so good. i did however have to cut the little useless piece of gasket hanging off the end, you can see the little rectangle at the end of the gasket.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-66032/