Aftermarket Stereo Install Help + Homelink Help

So I'm a proud new SS owner and I'm trying to figure out how to replace the radio in my truck. I have a Pioneer Z110BT that needs to be installed but I'm so confused on what I need to install it. I have been searching around this form and that's why I'm so confused because there were apparently different Bose systems.

I have Bose, single cd player but not sure if I have the sub or not...

I do not have onstar but I have what looks like a factory mic right above the driver's seat in the headliner

I do not have XM

I have steering wheel controls

I have digital climate control (if that matters)

I have noticed that the interface harness (crutchfield) states it's for onstar... which I don't have, but it lets me retain the warning chimes so, what do I need?

I also read that there is a way to completely bypass the bose amps via some plug that is hidden behind the dash somewhere? Is this better than using the Bose amp?

Any recommendation on the dash kit since some seem to fit better than others?

I have the PAC SWI-PS already from my Altima. Can I use this on the SS to retain the steering wheel controls or do I need something else?

I'm hoping to get this installed soon because going from the Z110BT in my old car to a stock radio sucks... no iPod!

Another issue, how can I add homelink to my truck? is it even possible? was it even a option on 03?

I think that's it for now, thanks in advance everyone.

well sounds like you have some good stuff to put in, if your having troubes with the wiring harness just go to your local stereo shop tell them what your putting in and stuff like that and they will sell you the correct harness for the truck, as for dash kits i think some guys have made some custom ones with led ss in it and stuff like that get creative and make it your own.

Edited by 03silv.ss (see edit history)

So I'm a proud new SS owner and I'm trying to figure out how to replace the radio in my truck. I have a Pioneer Z110BT that needs to be installed but I'm so confused on what I need to install it. I have been searching around this form and that's why I'm so confused because there were apparently different Bose systems.

I do not have onstar but I have what looks like a factory mic right above the driver's seat in the headliner

I do not have XM

I have noticed that the interface harness (crutchfield) states it's for onstar... which I don't have, but it lets me retain the warning chimes so, what do I need?

I also read that there is a way to completely bypass the bose amps via some plug that is hidden behind the dash somewhere? Is this better than using the Bose amp?

I have the PAC SWI-PS already from my Altima. Can I use this on the SS to retain the steering wheel controls or do I need something else?

I'm hoping to get this installed soon because going from the Z110BT in my old car to a stock radio sucks... no iPod!

Another issue, how can I add homelink to my truck? is it even possible? was it even a option on 03?

the thing that looks like a mic is what ive been told is you auto climate sensor. good luck with the stereo

I do not have XM

The interface used doesn't really matter if it's on-star or not, as long as it's for bose. I use the metra gmos-04 at work, they're ok. Metra says they have outputs for vss, e-brake, etc for nav decks, but i've tried the outputs on a dozen trucks.... never works, just hook the wires up in the truck it's real easy.

Don't use the AI kit(gm-k422) it sucks, you actually have to file part of it down to make it work. Use the metra kit(95-2003 i think).

Your swi-ps will work great.

I would use the bose amp, but that's my opinion. Bose doesn't sound too bad, just the sub sucks.

I added home-link to my 03, just bought the console off ebay... had to run a illumination wire up top for the lights in the home-link.... easy. Make sure you get a non-sunroof console. I think I paid about $30.

I've installed a crap load of avics in these trucks, takes about 25 minutes.

If your doing your own install...

You need to do a little trimming behind the radio, but it's not to bad, it's just plastic.

There is a whole bunch of lt green wires at the junction below the column for the swips wire, make sure you test for the right one. It's high and to the left IIRC.

Behing the pocket or pass air bag switch on a 03 is a great place to stick the swips, it's nice to be able to pop that out if you want to change programing on the swips, because you won't want to take the deck out again, you'll see.

The gps antenna works great on the metal bar under the dash behind the radio.

The vss at the cluster is the green/white next to the white wire(pin a4 i think), hook it up, it makes the nav much more accurate.

The back up wire is lt green at the bcm under the column, i don't remember which plug.

Funny, you described my install exactly as I did it... weird... freak3.gif

I installed the radio this past weekend because I couldn't take going from a Z110BT to stock radio any longer. I could have gotten the GMOS-04 and dash kit (Metra) cheaper online but I had to have it RIGHT NOW! HaHa

I did have to file down the Metra trim ring as well. Not the whole thing, just the corners. They were rounded off and I just squared them off and it fit just fine. I also put the GMOS-04 interface, SWI-PS and whatever wires I could behind the passenger airbag switch/pocket area. It took me a few tries to get everything to fit back there. Like you said, trimming the plastic behind the dash wasn't too bad. I was surprised at the lack of space behind the dash though. My Altima had twice the room behind the dash as this truck does. I used that metal bracket for my XM radio antenna and GPS antenna. I had to mount the XM module in the center console right next to the Bose amp.

All in all the install looks good and made the Bose system sound much better. It was a bit of a pain in the ass but its done now.

I had already hacked my deck for the parking brake/neutral switch bypass so I didn't use those wires on the GMOS-04. I did use the ones for the VSS and reverse signal which both work perfect! I don't have a back up cam yet but at-least everything is pre-wired for when I add one. The next thing to add will be a JL stealthbox in the console to round out the Bose system and then I think I'll be happy until it comes time to replace the speakers.

I can't wait to get the homelink added to the truck. I keep watching ebay for a console w/o sunroof control but the cheapest I have seen one for is $100+shipping. Its not as important now because after spending a entire day cleaning, organizing and re-arranging the garage I found out my truck is about 4" TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore, it won't fit in the garage. I was very distraught because now the SSS has to sit outside nono.gif. I still want to get the homelink in the truck though.

I will be detailing the truck this weekend and I'll include some pics of the radio all installed when I post up the pics I keep promising.

Good to hear it all went well

Ya, you have to file that metra trim ring down in the corners, but the ai kit has a bar in the center that you have to cut out and file down... way harder.

I wonder why I can't get those outputs on the gmos-04 to work... maybe the trucks I get here(They're all built in oshawa) don't work with this bypass?

It took me awhile to find the right overhead console too, a truck with home-link and no-sunroof isn't that common, but it'll turn up. You have to do a little re-wiring on that console, but it's not hard, there is an extra plug for the home-link, but it's only three wires, power, ground, and illumination. There's power and ground at the domelights, so you just need illumination run up to the roof.

I don't know what is wrong with mine, but there is a grounding issue, the home-link only works after i push the maplight button on and off... then it works...weird. I don't mind though, a kind of hidden security for my garage door.

That sucks about your truck not fitting in your garage... time to do some trimming.

That sucks about your truck not fitting in your garage... time to do some trimming.

The truck or the garage???? LOL

I have been thinking and thinking about what I could do but its going to be a no-go. The garage just isn't long enough which I don't understand because my house was built in the 50's... and the cars were A LOT bigger in the 50's but the garages in older houses seem to be smaller than the current day houses but yet the cars from yester year were bigger than most modern day cars. Sorry about the rant, just never made sense to me.