New Gaylords X-2000

kamikaze

I just got my Gaylords X-2000 installed today. I'm very happy with the quality and fit of the lid, however, the guy I bought it from (a Line-X dealer) ordered it with trim around the edge. After I got it home and stared at it for a while I decided I didn't like the trim. It breaks up the lines of the truck and lid too much. So I call the dealer and he tells me that he just automatically orders all of them that way because the bare edge is a little sharp and chips very easily. He then tells me that I can just remove the trim if I didn't like it.

So I hang up and proceed to remove part of the trim and the edge doesn't look clean at all. Not to mention that the seal for the lid is part of the trim. From what I saw of the exposed edge, it didn't look straight or finished. Anybody have any experiences like this? I think I'm going to go back to the dealer and bitch. Seeing as how the lid was over $800 and he didn't even ask me if I wanted the trim on in the first place.

Waddya think people??? :crazy:

I have the same lid and I don't have the edge like you but if you remove the cover here's what is going to happend to your lid

t3.jpg

t2.jpg

t1.jpg

And this came from gaylords :fume::fume: and trust me you don't even want for them to warranty this. I have been trying for about 3months now.

Been talking to some dealers and they asked me if I wanted the trim. I said no and they told me that the edges may start to chip. Their fix was to buy clear nail polish and LIGHTLY cover the very most edge of the cover. They even gave me the name of the best nail polish to use. :nonod: Still debating the cover.....

Krambo, what kind of nail polish did they recommend??? My dealer says that I might try some of that fender/door trim in black. I don't know. I'm still not happy with the look of the trim although I don't want chipping issues either :confused: !

I do not have the trim and it looks fine. It has been on the truck since March and I still have no chips or pealing. The only problem that I do have is a little bit of swelling in the middle(it bows up) when it gets hot out, which is most of the time in the south during the summer. Other than that and the hole Gaylords not wanting to take care of there customers I am happy with the fit and finish of my X2000 Speedsturr.

I do not have the trim and it looks fine.  It has been on the truck since March and I still have no chips or pealing. 

rdss,

since you don't have the trim does your lid have any kind of seal around it? On mine the trim also incorporates the seal between the lid and the bed. My dealer told me that the seal actually isn't there to "seal" against anything as the lid completely covers the bed rails, but rather to keep the lid from rubbing up against the bed and marring the paint.

And is the very bottom edge of your lid unpainted? Mine is. It's just white, like the gelcoat I assume. I thought of just running a black sharpie on it to color it black and then seeing what happens. Like I said before, I really like the fit and quality of the lid. Just the trim thing bugs me. :rolleyes:

Okay, so after two days of looking at that ugly trim I decided to take it off. When I lifted the lid I noticed that the bed was surface-scratched where the rubber seal from the lid was touching the bed :fume: ! So I took it to my buddy's body shop and he rubbed out the scratches for me. He also took off the trim, rubbed out the paint on the lid where the trim was attached and applied some 3M clear protective tape to the top of the bed rails where the lid sits. Holy crap it looks awesome now! Hopefully this will be the end of my lid woes...

I haven't experienced any warpage so far, and my truck sits outside, all day, in the sun. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

As soon as I get home I'll try and post some pics (long overdue!) :D

Mikey definitely likes it now :D:D !

Archived