Cam/Heads Or Supercharger

Hi i have an 04 1500 with a 5.3 and a few bolt-ons cat back, wheatley tune, and an intake but want to do something else. Right now i want to put in a cam that will give me some decent power but im planning on putting on heads and maybe a supercharger too. What im wondering is there a cam i can put in my truck now before putting on heads and/or supercharger that will work with them later on?

thanks

Make a decision on the build you want to do, forced induction or n/a. Then pick your cam to go with that build.

If you pick a cam for forced induction now, then decide later you want to go n/a, you will want to change the cam again to get the most horsepower out of it. Make a build sheet on paper, you will probably change your mind a hundred times(I know I did) once you start to reasearch heads, injectors, cams, etc. There is alot of info on this site already, use the search window toward the top of the page, and check out the build section. Happy hunting and good luck.....Joe

Edited by SS Muscle Truck (see edit history)

Have you thought about finding a LQ4/9 and building that up? You would be better off IMO. The stock heads (317) on the 6.0L would be cheaper to have freshened up and are very good for FI applications. Another thing is that the 6.0L obviously has more power from the factory, and just a motor swap will give you between 40-50 hp and 30-40 lbft of torque. You will be able to run a larger cam on the 6.0L so if you decide you don't want to go FI after the swap you can just do the cam and the supporting mods with or without heads. Have you done any trans mods? That will be a must with more power in any direction you go, and you should budget that in with the build.

As SS Muscle Truck said though. Make a build sheet and talk to some venders like LEP about a setup. One of the biggest things is how much you want to spend or can afford. Search the forum and others to see if there is a setup you would like, and ask questions.

a guy I know put the LQ4 in his and many more mods and runs 11.5's I think. LQ4 with a magnacharger is a good combo. If you want a better trans get rid of what you have and go 80. 4l60e is weak at best and needs a lot to hold together with any power behind these heavy @ss trucks. :pepsicheer:

a guy I know put the LQ4 in his and many more mods and runs 11.5's I think. LQ4 with a magnacharger is a good combo. If you want a better trans get rid of what you have and go 80. 4l60e is weak at best and needs a lot to hold together with any power behind these heavy @ss trucks. :pepsicheer:

Beefing up a 60e to hold the power is cheaper than doing an 80e swap and can still withhold a decent amount of power.