Speed Odometer Gets Stuck Sometime ?

evozem

Does anyone have a problem on the speed odometer getting stuck especially when I get up to 70 to 80 miles or by reving it at high rpm. Just wondering if its a recall on the instrutment panel. Or maybe a trick to fix this issue. This is on a 04 AWD SS. Thanks

I had the same problem. Come to find out there was a recall on the speed sensor (or something to that effect) on my truck. I have an 03 SSS and the stealership had to run my VIN to see if it was covered in the recall. Fortunately the part was, unfortunately the labor wasn't covered. It might be worth stopping by your local stealership and finding out if your truck is covered under this one.

Mine was getting stuck for about a couple of weeks and then it finally stopped working about three weeks ago. I ran across one of the members doing a LED conversion on his dash and he changed out his stepper motor. Here is his thread http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59247&st=0. Anyhow, I did some searching and found this link that has very detailed info on how to do the change. http://forums.trailv...ad.php?t=48886. I plan on changing mine out at the end of the month. Good Luck! cheers.gif

Edited by Blue2003SS (see edit history)

Mine was getting stuck for about a couple of weeks and then it finally stopped working about three weeks ago. I ran across one of the members doing a LED conversion on his dash and he changed out his stepper motor. Here is his thread http://www.silverado...pic=59247&st=0. Anyhow, I did some searching and found this link that has very detailed info on how to do the change. http://forums.trailv...ad.php?t=48886. I plan on changing mine out at the end of the month. Good Luck! cheers.gif

Thanks for your input. I've schedule with the dealer this friday. The panel is still covered until Aug. I was lucky on that one. But the LED seems to be another mod in the future. Hope you have some pics once your done. Take care and thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

Yup as said before its a common problem with our trucks. Youll have to replace the entire gauge cluster and they run about 300+ from a dealership. I had to replace mine shorlty after I got my truck and just barely missed the recall mileage deadline so I had to pay for it myself at that rediculous prices. Then they wanted to charge me another 100+ for labor. I said screw that so I borowed one of the dealerships socket sets and went out to the parking lot and took it out myself and then took it in and got my new one and It worked perfectly. Labor costs sucks, lol.

Yup as said before its a common problem with our trucks. Youll have to replace the entire gauge cluster and they run about 300+ from a dealership. I had to replace mine shorlty after I got my truck and just barely missed the recall mileage deadline so I had to pay for it myself at that rediculous prices. Then they wanted to charge me another 100+ for labor. I said screw that so I borowed one of the dealerships socket sets and went out to the parking lot and took it out myself and then took it in and got my new one and It worked perfectly. Labor costs sucks, lol.

its an easy fix for anybody looking to do it your self . you can buy the motors on ebay for a couple bucks a piece and all you do is pull the cluster apart " couple snap pins and just un solder the motors and put new ones in and solder those in place real easy... scale 1-10 like a 3