Has Anyone Replaced The Stepper Motors And Light Bulbs In Their Instru

YenkoChevelle69

Hey guys, it's been a while, but I'm back.

My 03 SS has been doing something funky lately. The Tachometer doesn't read accurately all the time due to what I think is a worn out stepper motor. It sometimes pegs out a 6k while idling. The oil pressure guage also wraps all the way around and sometimes will show 80lbs of pressure at idle. Has anyone here ever tackled the replacement of the stepper motors and light bulbs yet? I'd like to upgrade to a set of LEDs if possible, but if not I have no problem with going back stock.

Has anyone got the part numbers handy that I would need?

Thanks for all the help!

Mine was getting stuck for about a couple of weeks and then it finally stopped working about three weeks ago. I have not done the change as of yet but I have been watching IdahoBLKss do one and he has a very detailed build conversion. Here is his thread http://www.silverado...pic=59247&st=0. Anyhow, I did some searching and found this link that has very detailed info on how to do the stepper motor change. http://forums.trailv...ad.php?t=48886. I plan on changing mine out at the end of the month. I also have come across a couple of members say that some VIN numbers have a dash recall. So take yours by a dealership and find out if Chevy will replace it. I plan on taking mine over next week to find out if mine is one of them. Good Luck! cheers.gif

hey

GM isued a recall on the dash/insterment cluster on the 03 SS's mine was doing the same thing when the recall came out, i took it in and that fixed the problem. just a thought maybe it will help ya. good luck

Its a pretty common issue and the dealer will fix it if youre under 7 years/70k miles at no charge. It's not hard to do yourself, but if you could get it done for free and save yourself the headache, then I recommend going to a dealer.

Its a pretty common issue and the dealer will fix it if youre under 7 years/70k miles at no charge. It's not hard to do yourself, but if you could get it done for free and save yourself the headache, then I recommend going to a dealer.

Unfortunately I'm at 131,000 miles so I think thats out, but I will call about it tomorrow and see. Does anyone have the part numbers handy for the stock bulbs? Not really sure what to even look for.

dont have any part numbers but there is a guy on ebay that sells replacement clusters that are programmed to your vin # and mileage, pretty legit business he's got going on. when i bought my truck it was at 72,000 miles and the stealership refused to honor the recall, but offered to replace the cluster for 500 bucks, also said it would take at least 1-2 weeks to get a new ss cluster in. i opted out of that and drove it 2 hours home guesstimating off the tach on how fast i was going. if you dont feel like replacing the motors yourself look up the guys ebay store, great seller and easy to work with. thumb.gif