Got A Motor To Build

Ok I got a sweet deal on a complete (minus rails and injectors) LQ4 out of my buddies 04' 2500. Picked it up for $300. The motor had 180k on it and had a knock so he bought a crate motor because he drives all over the state for his job.

I have to pick up the engine next week so for my initial thought on the build and my wants for it before seeing the condition of the internals I am planning on doing this.

Machine the block: Bores +.030 out to a 4.030" bore making it a 370ci.

Check the mains and have the new bearings matched to the stock crank ( if the crank checks out.)

Forged I beam rods ( stock length)

Forged +.030 pistons ( Domed? or Flat tops? )

ARP rod bolts, main bolts, and head bolts.

Clevelite main and rod bearings.

Rework the stock 317 heads and have a surfacing pass on the mill -.010, port and polish, and new valves and seals and springs.

I am working on a custom made sheet metal intake manifold for it.

LS2 timing chain

Melling oil pump

42# injectors

Ported and polished throttle body

And I have 3 choices of cams.

Here is where I have a coin flip. I can build this motor for boost (most likely turbo) and use domed pistons and a ls6 cam. Stay NA and put either my TR224 on a 112lsa or my Comp XE269hr low lift on a 116lsa in it. I have the TR224 in my truck right now so I would have to swap out the cams when I was doing everything.

This motor (LQ4) will be a budget build with quality where needed. I have full boltons to match everything. CAI, Headers, Full exhaust, Trans etc. But When I get the stock motor out I am planning on a forged stroker with matched cam, heads and FI and everything.

If I stay NA I should be able to stay under $2200 for the motor and machine work, and if I go FI It would almost tripple. I am leaning on staying NA with this set up for a "temp motor" and stick the rest of the money into the other build.

Let me know what you all think on the set up and any opinions you have on a set up.

Thanks guys

Sounds like you know where you wanna go, but just have a hard time choosing. If you go n/a, do you want a high compression motor or something around 9:1 ort a lil higher you can add boost to later? If you are gonna buy forged rods, I would just go ahead and stroke it. It would put you over your budget by about a grand but it's still cheaper than going all out on a forced induction setup. And having a fully forged motor, I think a lil juice would be in order :driving:

I hope to see a build thread with lots of pics on this one soon man :pop:

Good Luck with it :cheers:

I forgot to mention that the only reason for forged rods is because a buddy has a new set that he wants to get rid of for a decent price (more than a stock set but cheaper than a new set).

I also have a friend that wants a 6.0L and has a turbo on his 5.3L. So if I built this motor with dished pistons, and milled the heads say 30 thousands, and used thinner head gaskets I can get my compression to around 10.5:1 to 10.9:1. Then if I can put a bigger cam from what I already have in it. Then If he buys this motor off me when I get the stock motor stroked he would only have to change the cam with the one he has in his right now, and I could put my stock set of unmilled 317's on it and he would have a low to mid 9's cr.

I know the pistons are the weak link with FI and the rods are next in line so to set it up for 600hp to 650hp would be insurance for the next person to buy it.