Blown Up Lq4

BlueAKSSS

This was a craigslist find that was sitting in the garage for about a year or two, the guy that had it said it had a "Rod Knock" that was pretty bad. The LQ4 is an early model 2001 with iron junk heads.

This is what I found:

DSC_0244Large.jpg

DSC_0243Large.jpg

DSC_0242Large.jpg

Looks like lake water mixed with oil.............

DSC_0241Large.jpg

Hole in the windage tray.

DSC_0240Large.jpg

And the problem, a broken connecting rod! The cylinder was all the way up at the top and it was broken off the crank in a way that the engine was still able to run, the guy was driving the truck like this on 7 cylinders!

DSC_0239Large.jpg

DSC_0238Large.jpg

DSC_0237Large.jpg

DSC_0245Large.jpg

Pieces of metal in the oil pan.

What should I do with this motor? I was thinking 408 project? New rotating assembly, bore, new heads, ect.

• 1 month later...

I saw thinking N/A with some nitrous maybe and a really healthy sounding cam so I can drop it in my 69'. I was looking at rotating assembly's from TSP, any other suggestions on where to buy a good rotating assembly?

Edit, also what would be the best set of heads to run on a setup like this, L92 heads/intake?

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

If you are keeping it NA then you're gonna need the cubes, stroke it. Heads, all depends on budget - get the best set of ported heads you can afford IMO, and a quality intake manifold. Come up with a realistic budget for the top-end components of the motor; what are you willing to spend on heads/cam/valvetrain/intake?

Mr. P. :)

If you are keeping it NA then you're gonna need the cubes, stroke it. Heads, all depends on budget - get the best set of ported heads you can afford IMO, and a quality intake manifold. Come up with a realistic budget for the top-end components of the motor; what are you willing to spend on heads/cam/valvetrain/intake?

Yes I was thinking of keeping it NA and putting together a stroker. I'm not sure what the budget would be yet but I could build the bottom end short block first then, save up and buy the top end.

Good plan; just don't skimp on the induction, or the extra cubes won't mean chit. The difference between a heads/manifold/valvetrain combo that runs like a champ or one that runs like ass is only $1000-2000. Spend the extra grand! LOL