How Reliable Are These Trucks?

MikeXtreme

So I want to buy an SS....Either a Silverado or a Trailblazer. Almost bought an 08 TBSS until I did some research on it because of the miles. Had 122k on it. Went on TBSS forum and asked the same question...seems the trannies are kinds weak. Anyone have any major problems down the road with their Silverado SS?

BTW, the 04 Silverado Im looking at has 75k on it, for $18 grand.

The TBSS is $15k with 122k on it.

60,000 miles on mine, and with normal maintenance, not a single issue, other than an HVAC problem that had to be repaired by the dealer. If you add major power, yes the transmission needs beefing up. But with a tune and other minor bolt-ons, I have had no problem. Good kuck. :chevy:

Upgrade to bigger brakes, and you won't have the normal brake wear issue, and the trannies will not handle any more power, or much abuse. If you had enough power, or abuse the truck a lot, the tranny will give out, though you can place the money into to beef the tranny up to where you will have no trouble what so ever. My life style is one of the hardest you can do to a vehicle, and she takes it with ease.

i bought my 04 lin February 09 with 72k on it, no problems to speak of really and i drive the hell out of it. but like everyone says, if youre going to do any power adding mods tranny would be the first thing to spend the money on. for a few hundred bucks you can upgrade the stock trans to handle more power or go ahead and spend about 1500 on a built trans to handle anything. best money i have spent on the truck so far are the built tranny and Wheatley tune thumb.gif you could probably talk them down a bit on that 18k price tag too...i picked mine up for right at 15k. good luck man!

Zach

128K on my truck. Its an 03 bought it with 8855.

Problems so far and they aren't that bad

Brakes

Front diff

Shocks

Idler pitman arm....And ALL of the other frontend parts for steering!!!

My truck is a DD I got a tune improved my gas mpg but gas milage is the only problem.. Deff talk them down on price and good luck

I have 70k on mine and never had any problems. The only thing besides the Stearing wheel clunk (which all GM trucks had a problem with) is i have a weird squeeking noise when i turn left, i have been told its nothing major to worry about

I would be a little weary of the TBSS and 08 with 122K..................40K miles a year, yikes

Edited by diggerdan11 (see edit history)

Mines got 150k and still runs like new, I've just had to replace minor things here and there. Leaking oil cooler lines was the biggest problem so far and the shocks are getting close to needing replacement on mine. The last owner had it serviced regularly by a dealership so that might be what's kept it running trouble free.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

109K on mine and its an '05... Just dropped 3K to replace tranny. I used it to tow pretty often but never anything over the rated capacity... i ended up losing 3rd and 4th... got to the dealership and lost 1st 2nd and reverse... and this was right before i deployed... hopefully no more big problems like that... now im dealing with the radio not turning off when i open the door, so since i have been gone it killed my battery. But other than that, shes been a great daily for me!

I got an extremely good deal on my 03 with 47,000 on the clock.

It now has 52K on it and I have replaced the bearings in the front diff. ($1100), and replaced the left front drive hub ass., ($550).

The interior compass / temp. display just quit.

Every time I hit a bump in the road; the doors bang and rattle like she has 100K+ on her, and the weatherstrip howls with any cross wind above 45 MPH.

Every time I mash the GO pedal; I fall in love all over again.

Drive defensively, Don't put the stock brakes in a panic situation.

Don't give over 12 - 14K.