Need To Get The 4L60E Out Of My 1996 Silverado Rebuilt?

I bought a 1996 Silverado ECSB 4x4 off a local guy to use as a truck lol. The trans works but 2nd and 4th(OD) are out. I hear they are on the same band so I'm wondering if a complete rebuild is needed or just fix the problem band? I've checked a local shop(people recommend) and they want $1,200+ for the rebuild. price includes install and they offer a 2 year 24K mile warranty. Another place wants like $650 for rebuild with better parts but they don't install trans. I would like to learn a lot more about trans and rebuilds but figure it's not best to try my own rebuild.

couple more questions. Do you think I can pull the bad trans and install the rebuild? I've never messed with trans stuff. It would save me money for other stuff. I'd like to fix the truck up(paint/wheels) so I wouldn't mind to drive it around sometime. don't want to put a ton of miles on the C5Z06. :driving:

Hope you guys can help me

Thanks, Jeremy

Changing the transmission in one of those trucks is a bit of a job but you can probably do it no problem. Steps are drop exaust system, unbolt torque converter from flywheel, remove front and rear driveshafts, I believe you must remove the crossmember, drop the transfer case (I'm not sure but I had to last week when I changed the trans in a 99 s10), uncllip all electrical connectors/hoses, finally I sure I missed some steps but, put a jack under it or have a friend hold it and unbolt all the bellhousing bolts. Should drop right out. pepsicheer.gif

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

I bought a 1996 Silverado ECSB 4x4 off a local guy to use as a truck lol. The trans works but 2nd and 4th(OD) are out. I hear they are on the same band so I'm wondering if a complete rebuild is needed or just fix the problem band? I've checked a local shop(people recommend) and they want $1,200+ for the rebuild. price includes install and they offer a 2 year 24K mile warranty. Another place wants like $650 for rebuild with better parts but they don't install trans. I would like to learn a lot more about trans and rebuilds but figure it's not best to try my own rebuild.

Hope you guys can help me

Thanks, Jeremy

2/4 band is most likely the problem. Could be the servo seals are worn, but thats best case scenerio. If the band is worn, so is the reverse input drum it clamps too so that will definatly need to be replaced. The rebuild will depend on what you want to do with the truck. If you just want to use it as a truck, sounds like a basic overhaul is what you want, gaskets, seals, ect, and replace whats worn inside...2/4 band, reverse input drum, im gonna bet 3/4 clutch pack, bushings, bearings, ect. As for removing the transmission yourself, I would definatly do that. Its not hard at all and will obviously help with the cost. The hardest thing youll prolly deal with is the exhaust, but soak all bolts with penetrating fluid a week ahead of time and they "should" break loose.

Looked under the truck the other day and noticed one of the exhaust pipes connected to a header and held on with a c clamp lol. Truck is old. I'm only going to use it as a truck. I don't plan any performance mods for the old silverado. just cosmetic mods to make it look a lot better. It's got a bit of rust so body/paint work will be in my plans. :pepsicheer:

Looked under the truck the other day and noticed one of the exhaust pipes connected to a header and held on with a c clamp lol. Truck is old. I'm only going to use it as a truck. I don't plan any performance mods for the old silverado. just cosmetic mods to make it look a lot better. It's got a bit of rust so body/paint work will be in my plans. pepsicheer.gif

Then definatly rebuild the transmission with new seals, bushings, bearings, ect and replace whats needed only. You should be able to get away pretty cheap if you remove and install the transmission yourself.