Do You Guys Use Premium Fuel?

crtfour

Hi,

I bought an '03 SS recently and noticed that the label sates the need for premium fuel. Although I'm fine filling it with premium, I am curious as to why. Do all GM 6 liter engines require premium, or is there something unique to the SS engine that requires it?

Thanks!

Rob

I bought an '03 SS recently and noticed that the label sates the need for premium fuel. Although I'm fine filling it with premium, I am curious as to why. Do all GM 6 liter engines require premium, or is there something unique to the SS engine that requires it?

The LQ9 6 liter which is in the SSS has a higher compression ratio due to its flat top pistons which requires a higher octane fuel. The LQ4 6 liter thats in GMC's, HD 2500's, ect has dished pistons which doesnt require the higher octane fuel due to the lower compression ratio.

Not using 91 octane will result in pinging/knocking, poor fuel economy, ect

I have been using the middle octane (89) for years and my SSS would always knock at cold or hot start-up. It has been doing this from the first day I rolled it off the lot. I have had the knock sensors replaced a few times under warranty and Chevy basically told me to live with it. Then I started to use Chevrons Supreme 91 and the start-up knocking is gone "or my hearing". I never noticed pinging under hard acceleration with the 89 but I noticed a slight increase in fuel millage with the higher octane if I keep my foot out of it "doesn't happen to often."

Started off useing Shell V-power when I bought the truck.

Got a tune and the tuner told me to use Something eles other then V power cause it was makeing my motor ping and knock on the computer. I now use Sunoco 93 truck runs great.

i wouldn't use anyhting other then 93..

Started off useing Shell V-power when I bought the truck.

Got a tune and the tuner told me to use Something eles other then V power cause it was makeing my motor ping and knock on the computer. I now use Sunoco 93 truck runs great.

i wouldn't use anyhting other then 93..

:withstupid: Same here. My truck was tuned for premium, and I got some pinging with Shell 93. Since using Sunoco 93, no ping! :thumbs:

Ive been using 93 since day 1. Money isnt so bad I cant pay 5 more bucks or so per tank for the sake of cleaner fuel. The next time u put junk pump 89 octane in ur truck take a water bottle with u and fill it about halfway and take it home and just let it sit a coupla days and look at the sediment that settles in the bottom.squintnoeswerdrun.gif

There are dozens of reasons and explanations for running premium fuel.

I have been in the altitude octane arguments with guys. It's funny.

Truth be told. When you run a vehicle on a higher octane you will get alot more out of it than just performance. You will see a gain in mileage at the end of the day and you will also see a cleaner running vehicle.

If you do a little research the octane rating is based under 100 on how resistant a fuel is to knock. 93 is moreso resistant to knock than 87 due to the fact it takes more pressure/more heat to initiate combustion. Where as 87 will ignite with less pressure and less heat. Causing pre ignition or detonation/knock.

I personally run E85 but I am setup to run it and I have alot more compression than the trucks have stock.

I can't say it to enough folks that 2 dollars or so per tankful you save is money you throw away in maintained and you loose in mileage. Personally I don't even think there should be a lower octane option. I think it should be E85 or 93-95 octane everywhere.