Looking Into Buying Sss

00cls1camaross

I found about about this forum from performancetrucks.net.

I have a 2000 camaro ss but I'm considering buying a SSS

On LS1tech we have these stickies that say the differences in all the years of Camaros and I was hoping someone could tell me the differences in the SSS. Also, what are common problems I should check with these trucks?

Any buying advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dakota

Here are a couple of vids of my car

Now cammed

http://www.streetfire.net/video/00cls1camaross-cammed_2031688.htm

First off welcome to the site! pepsicheer.gif

Some of the main differences in the SSS between the years are:

All 2003-2004 models are AWD and came in Black, Red, Blue. Some 2005's are 2wd and some are AWD, came in Black, Red, and Silver Birch. 2006's are only 2wd and the same colors as 2005's.

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

the 05+ truck lost a few features in the DIC display, like instantaneous MPG. they also lost the two way power lumbar support. but gained cloth seats (optional) and a sunroof (optional). 03's have a return fuel system, 04+ have returnless fuel system

I'm on my 5th one for various reasons.....high miles, changed my mind, engine fire, was gonna trade for a more family friendly vehicle and now on this one. I can't get away from them even when it starts on fire. Had 03-05. Basically the same with a few minor exceptions. Lots of fun to throw money and time at. I doubt you'll regret it, but you never know til you jump in. Lots of great info on this site will help you a ton. Whether its modding, appearance, off the wall changes, small repairs and oil changes on up to total rebuilds, you'll find someone here that knows all about it and will probably be happy to help. Good luck. As long as you don't buy in upside down to start, its hard to go wrong with one of these.

How is the AWD system in these trucks? Strong or pretty weak?

anyone experiment with a 87 octane tune, I don't care about much performance with these trucks. My car is faster haha.

I was looking around as well and I saw some stickey about a steering problem, can anyone explain?

Thanks,

Dakota

Awd drive is ok. I just rebuilt mine last year. If you start modding it be prepared to beef up the trans

If you don't want performance why buy the SS. Why not get a reg silverado 4x4 and make it look like an SS????

The steering problem has to do with the steering shaft. Its a common problem with alot of the trucks. I think it was from 99 on? Easy fix and cheap to do..

Edited by Sick03ss (see edit history)

How is the AWD system in these trucks? Strong or pretty weak?

anyone experiment with a 87 octane tune, I don't care about much performance with these trucks. My car is faster haha.

I was looking around as well and I saw some stickey about a steering problem, can anyone explain?

Thanks,

Dakota

You get worse gas millage with it, plus increase the chance of knock... for the price of a coffe do you really want to skimp out on premium.

also 2wd trucs have drum rear brakes, and bigger front brakes with a 9.5" rear end, where the AWD trucks have rear disks, crapier front brakes and with a 8.625 rear.

Awd drive is ok. I just rebuilt mine last year. If you start modding it be prepared to beef up the trans

If you don't want performance why buy the SS. Why not get a reg silverado 4x4 and make it look like an SS????

The steering problem has to do with the steering shaft. Its a common problem with alot of the trucks. I think it was from 99 on? Easy fix and cheap to do..

I like the way the SS looks and for the options it comes with and AWD, you can't beat the price. It is weird to me to know how a 125,000 mile Z71 with no optioins cost more than a 95,000 fully optioned AWD SSS.

To be honest, if I buy an SSS, I want to take off the stock 20s, lift it a couple of inches, and then put some 18" wheels with A/Ts on it.

You get worse gas millage with it, plus increase the chance of knock... for the price of a coffe do you really want to skimp out on premium.

also 2wd trucs have drum rear brakes, and bigger front brakes with a 9.5" rear end, where the AWD trucks have rear disks, crapier front brakes and with a 8.625 rear.

What is the compression ratio? Do you think I could be fine with 89 if I don't WOT. I just hate paying for premium.

What is the compression ratio? Do you think I could be fine with 89 if I don't WOT. I just hate paying for premium.

I think it has 10:1 compression, the LQ9 has flat top pistons. You can run it on 87 just fine, because the computer will just pull timing so it doesn't ping.

I think it has 10:1 compression, the LQ9 has flat top pistons. You can run it on 87 just fine, because the computer will just pull timing so it doesn't ping.

yes 10:1 comp, and yes you can run 87, but you will get worse gas millage, and the chace of detonation, just because the PCM will be mostly functioning on the low octane table does not mean you are compleatly protected. If you think worse gas millage is better than pumping premium go ahead, it will be your truck do as you please with it... You will aslo find that putting anylift on an SS and A/T doesnt sit very well with the members here. If that is what your are after you are better off with something like a z71, then just make it a clone... in the end it's your choice.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Premium is not only needed to go WOT, it also depends on engine load, and you do not need to be at WOT to have high engine loads. I.E. going up hill, mild accelerations from stops, towing and so on...

Edited by chpspecial (see edit history)

yes 10:1 comp, and yes you can run 87, but you will get worse gas millage, and the chace of detonation, just because the PCM will be mostly functioning on the low octane table does not mean you are compleatly protected. If you think worse gas millage is better than pumping premium go ahead, it will be your truck do as you please with it... You will aslo find that putting anylift on an SS and A/T doesnt sit very well with the members here. If that is what your are after you are better off with something like a z71, then just make it a clone... in the end it's your choice.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Premium is not only needed to go WOT, it also depends on engine load, and you do not need to be at WOT to have high engine loads. I.E. going up hill, mild accelerations from stops, towing and so on...

What is the reasoning behind no lift and A/T? Is it just a siveradoss.com forum opinion or is there a reason?

Btw, thanks for the answers, you're very helpful