Just Filling Everyone In On What Exactly Happened To Me

Black2003SS

As some of you know, I left Michigan for a few weeks. I actually heard from someone elsewhere that it was because I went to jail...lol. That was funny. I was hired by the Department of Homeland Security as a Federal Agent with the US Border Patrol. It required me to attend an 11 week academy in Artesia, NM followed by an 8 week Spanish Language course. The academy is pretty intense. It includes 2+ hours of PT, defensive tactics, arrest techniques, mixed in with running, marching, and classroom studies. Some military guys said it was just as hard or harder than their boot camp was. I was a little over two weeks into training when we were on a perimeter fence run of about 3 miles. I had a miss step on some soft sand and ended up partially tearing my patellar tendon. My knee buckeled and I felt a "pop" and instant pain. It is the tendon that connects from the patella knee cap to the top of the tibia (shin bone). It is NOT the ACL, which is much easier to repair. It has a 1cmx1cm moderate tear. I can walk, but can not run. I spoke with the doctors down there and I absolutely could not continue training under any circumstances. Further more, they said I may not even heal fully. They offered to put me out on disability. Being the type of person I am, I could not sit around and collect a check knowing I had a decent job back in Michigan. I contacted my company and they were very happy to have me back, being that I didn't just leave for a competitor or was unhappy, etc. With the job offer in place, I reluctantly resigned my position from the Border Patrol. The BP would have let me return to the academy about a year from now and start over from day one, which wouldn't have been bad. But the catch was, if I was not able to pass medical at that time, they would simply dismiss me altogether ( and I would get 40% of pay from that point, which isn't a lot). So I made the decision to take the guaranteed job than risk my future. There is little doubt that in a year, my former employer would most likely not be able to take me back as they would have most definitely filled my position. I am awaiting the office of workers compensation to settle my case to pay for medical treatment on the knee as I can't afford more than an office visit right now. Surgery is up in the air too. I have read that I should be in a cast or brace, but it's not doing to bad as long as I avoid things like stairs or sudden movements, etc.

I spent two years trying to get in and I did. I suffered through months of the background check, oral board reviews, polygraph, medical screenings, etc. It was a very long tedious process. It was devastating news when I found out the tendon was torn, confirmed by an MRI. I hope that someday, I do make a full recovery, and can re-apply (I have until I am 40 and I am 31 now). If I do, great, if not, I will have to find something else. I have options. I took the LSAT's a while back and was accepted to a couple of decent law schools, I could go for my Masters of Accounting or Finance, or some other program. I'm not sure. Right now, I'm newly married and I am going to enjoy life the best I can, get my wife through law school, and think about what my next move will be. Meanwhile, I have a great company with great perks to work with for the next few years. Heck, I get 19 paid vacation days plus 10 holiday pays, annual bonus, pension plan, 403b, Blue Cross Blue Shield (paid, no employee contributions), Dental, Vision, and they send me to places like Atlantic City and Vegas, among other places. It could be a whole lot worse.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

diffently sorry to hear u had to come back to mi like that..that reallly sucks...but very smart of you to not put all your eggs in one basket and leave your self something to fall back on. and your fall back plan sounds pretty nice after all..hell the insurance is almost priceless!!

we diffently need more people like you in michigan that would rather work then just sit on there ass....+1 for u sir !! !!

I hate hearing news like that...ork so hard to achieve something only to have it taken away like that....It looks like you have a great head on your shoulders and are going to be just fine....Consider yourself lucky that you have a fall back plan..most don't..I didn't when I got hurt....Stay positive

sorry to hear about your injury. ill be following you down the federal agent path in October. it is a very long process to get in. sorry to hear you wont be able to pursue that career anymore. good choice in keeping your options open. you never know, maybe next year you'll be healed and headed back down to complete training again. good luck. gary

Edited by smoothdime (see edit history)