SS Surgery

xlman

Well - - I am holding my breath . . . . my "baby" is having a large hole cut into its top this morning for the sunroof I've been wanting for the past year. After much deliberation ( and consternation) I decided to give it a go. I can almost hear that sawsall from my desk as I sit here and type this post.

I'm having a 49" wide power slider installed today - - - and they're prediciting rain for most of the coming week. Who's having sunshine? - - I'll head your way!

Will let you all know how everything comes out (I feel Like I'm the one in for surgery!).

:cool:

:chevy: Does the addition of the sun roof add stability to the roof, as it is now it's rather flimsy. If you don't mind, could you tell us the cost?

thanks

There is a place in my area of Pa that does install of the same sunroof. The cost here is $1100.-$1300. As far as stiffening the roof, it will stiffen the front of the roof but he should have them add some small lenghts of aluminum angle to the mid to rear section for stability there. As long as the sunroof clearance is ok, the angles can be bonded to the inner mid/rear roof the same way the sunroof is installed. The bracing will firm up that rear section. If you ever remove your headliner you will be surprised. The only factory bracing goes from the windsheild back to about the middle of the front seats and a brace going from drivers side to passenger side over top of the front seats. Watch the assy plant video that was posted here a couple of months ago. You can see it pretty well there. Can't wait to see it xlman. :thumbs:

I've contemplated doing this for a long time and figured it's not worth it. With my luck, the damn thing would leak when we get some rain here in So. Cal. That would really PISS me off!

I hope all goes well for you!

Darkseed's sunroof was a really trick installation. BTW, where is he?

Late- Alex

Sorry I'm so late getting back to all of you. I have had an up and down outcome so far. First, the good news. The power slider that was installed is terrific! Its a Hollandia 749 - - dark tinted glass, smooth operation, closes automatically when you turn off the ignition, and there is VERY LITTLE wind noise (far less than my wife's Seville) - and no "turbulence" for any of the passengers! I am already enjoying the sun, moon, and stars - - - I would urge any of you outdoor lovers to do it. I have investigated this thing for a year - and finally went with a local installer who I had do some work on my last truck - very successfully. The price, installed, was $1,045.00 + tax.

Now the (temporary-I-hope) downside. Despite periodic visits to this site, I never saw Darkseed's installation pictures - but even if I had, the shop that installs the ASC brand sunroofs refused to do the job! If I had seen the photos earlier, I might have been able to convince them to call Darkseed's installer to get some tips - and gain some confidence. They claimed the lack of roof support was an issue. Anyway - - - I went with the Hollandia, which appears to be a high quality unit. The installer may be another issue. I left the truck at 9 a.m. - - and about an hour and a half later received a call from the installer reporting to me that there was a "little problem". In my world, there is no such thing as a "little problem" when you're talking about cutting a football field sized whole in the roof of my pride and joy !! :eek:

Turns out that they were unable to fit the slider unit (and the frame is BIG) end-to-end on the roof while still maintaining enough space to reinstall the overhead console. Despite my repeated queries, they said it just wouldn't fit. In a moment of disappointment, I told them to go ahead, because I wanted the sunroof more than the console. Anyway . . . . . after picking the truck up, I would say that they did a pretty good job overall - - - but I don't have the console. :cry:YET.

We have another meeting at the shop this afternoon to discuss how we might be able to "reconfigure" the fastening points of the console unit to the area in which it belongs. I still think it may fit - we just have to figure out how to do it. Cross your fingers for me.

My word of advice > > > I chose the BIGGEST roof opening I could get - - that may have caused my problem. #1 - get your installation shop to download the installation instructions from the slider company - and prove to you on paper that they'll be able to fit the equipment as you want it. #2 - TAKE THE DAY OFF WORK - - AND BE THERE WHEN SITUATIONS ARISE THAT REQUIRE DECISION-MAKING, OR CREATIVE THINKING!

Enough for now. I'm hoping to get my console back up - but I am happy with the sunroof itself. I'll report the final outcome, and get some pictures (eventually).

Go for it - :cool:

How long was the install and did they add some support to the balance of the roof?

Hope you can get the console back in. I spoke with the vendor in my area and they said they have put them in tahoes and trucks without any problems but I forgot to give them your part number for cross ref. The installer in my area does install ASC and Hollandia also. Good luck with yours. :seeya:

Thanks guy -

The actual install probably only took a few hours. This shop puts roofs in Jags, Caddys, and all kinds of vehicles. They want the selant to cure overnight, so I was called first thing the following morning - basically a one day deal.

I really love that opening! Still working on getting the overhead unit back in - - - I NEVER give up !

:thumbs::flag::cheers:

839670666103_0_ALB.jpg

Archived