Lifted Ss?

87sheerips

I think if the AWD is tough enough to handle the abuse (I dont know much about it yet guys) Then it could be a feasible Off-road truck that looks badass....

Just wanna see some pics, that red crew cab is pretty sick actually!

yea i think they look ok but they are made for street. if they were emnt for off road would not come with the eagle tires lol

Lol, solid point but I tell u what, I will have run this winter with these all terrain tires and stock Sierra rims... Pretty excited about it lol

• 4 weeks later...

I have been looking into and researching this since I bought my truck 2 years ago. The SSS is a great platform for a decent high speed desert or snow toy. The truck almost has a 33" tire on it in stock form and its got a stout drivetrain to haul ass. My SSS sits higher than a few saggy Z71s. I will never lower a truck anymore than the factory did but I have no problem raising them up. My truck is still a truck and I need it to perform as one when I require it. Pull a trailer, haul scrap metal, drive over curbs or parking blocks, and through whatever regular weather I have in my area. I have driven my SSS through a few muddy fields to see how much the Eagles suck in the goo (they suck bad by the way), through flooded roads that exceeded 12" in depth, and down unplowed roads with several inches of snow. This thing is a 5200lb brick that is a blast to drive but I will never consider it to be a race car. A small lift would be of more use and a lot more fun to me than lowering it. That being said here is what I know about lifting an SSS.

As with any vehicle there is no limit when there is no budget. The only company that has even made a "lift kit" for the SSS is JDfabrication. You can see the truck and kit on their website here. This is the truck that Offroad magazine did a feature on a few years back. It's extreme and its expensive but it is badass. Now with that out of the way there are no other manufacturers that will market their lifts for an AWD truck. I have called and asked several and then finally got a great answer after writing to Offroad mag. Jerrod Jones directed me to a similar question and its reply that was posted in the September 2010 issue of Offroad magazine:

AWD Issues

I am currently building up a 2008 Sierra Denali AWD. Recently I had a 2.25-inch leveling kit installed (roughly 2,000 miles ago) and am now experiencing CV axle failure. Assuming this will be an ongoing issue, I am looking for something stronger than stock. Thus far I have come across RCV Performance and they seem to have an outstanding product, but at $480 each they are expensive. My question to you is do you know of another manufacturer that has an economical replacement? I would need something compatible with future additions like ICON coilovers, BMS upper A-arms, etc. I appreciate your help. Todd Albrecht

Bradenton, FL

Todd, without personally looking at your truck, I can only guess what your issues are. I’ve heard of issues with all-wheel-drive vehicles being lifted before. Usually it’s a transfer case issue or a front drive issue (like you’re having). In your particular instance, I’m guessing that the reason you are having issues (where other truck owners with 2WD are not) is because your CV shafts are constantly propelling the vehicle as drive axles. Even though a CV shaft in an IFS 4x4 is always turning, they’re not being “powered” or propelled in 2WD. And I’m guessing you’ll have the same problem with the coilovers or a leveling or, even if you use new BMS A-arms (the arms will help with camber though).

And unfortunately, it’s not guaranteed the RCV shafts will fix your issue, though they are fine products. The angle may just be too great for those shafts to be constantly driven. I also don’t know of any cheaper heavy-duty replacement for the stock CV shafts on your GMC. There are stock replacements available, but it’ll just be replacing what you already have.

So to get your SSS in the sky it would be best to swap out your t-case with a 4x4 unit. For me this was a deal breaker and I gave up on the lifted idea. It would be much more cost effective to buy a 4x4 and just stick the SSS body parts on it like the guys in the pics poster earlier did. Hope this clears up the lifted question that a few guys have had.

Ive said it before, Ill say it again. The AWD kicks 4x4 ass anyday, in any condition that I been in. Went through a blizzard where state and town plow/sanding trucks (10 wheelers and 4x4s) were off the road in ditches about 20 feet in the woods.

I was driving freely, and pushing this truck as hard as I could. The AWD platform on the SS is perfect for being lifted and snow racing, sand duning, and what others. However a RWD is pointless.

http://www.off-roadw..._awd/index.html thumbsup.gif

edit-during that blizzard we had a state of emergency, the only thing on the road that could keep up were snowmobiles on Interstate 495

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

Ive said it before, Ill say it again. The AWD kicks 4x4 ass anyday, in any condition that I been in. Went through a blizzard where state and town plow/sanding trucks (10 wheelers and 4x4s) were off the road in ditches about 20 feet in the woods.

I was driving freely, and pushing this truck as hard as I could. The AWD platform on the SS is perfect for being lifted and snow racing, sand duning, and what others. However a RWD is pointless.

http://www.off-roadw..._awd/index.html thumbsup.gif

edit-during that blizzard we had a state of emergency, the only thing on the road that could keep up were snowmobiles on Interstate 495

RWD isn't worthless not every one want to go off road or Snow race I personally like my 2wd SSS and don't like to get it out in bad weather to many things can happen to cause a accident. It all depends on personal preference on what drive train set up you want ect. I don't have to worrie about hubs half shafts or a transfer break. I'm from TN and we don't have alot of bad weather so I chose 2wd cause it would do what I wanted AWD is cool I just didn't want to worrie about the extra drivetrain

I agree Justin its all personal choice. I use to drive the truck in all elements the first winter I owned it b/c it was a truck, now it will only see sunlight during spring, summer or fall. And I get ripped on heavily for not using it "as a truck."

I would love to own a 2wd SS so I can have the best of both worlds; and plan on doing so. But raising it up is something I would not do.

I would not lift my SS up, but the awd drivetrain has great potential in both being lowered and raised Chevy_anim.gif

I agree Justin its all personal choice. I use to drive the truck in all elements the first winter I owned it b/c it was a truck, now it will only see sunlight during spring, summer or fall. And I get ripped on heavily for not using it "as a truck."

I would love to own a 2wd SS so I can have the best of both worlds; and plan on doing so. But raising it up is something I would not do.

I would not lift my SS up, but the awd drivetrain has great potential in both being lowered and raised Chevy_anim.gif

I must admit though seeing a awd baja sss tearing through the desert would be bamf lol