Look What Came Today Boys

alex.t

000_0015.jpg

couple quick question.

- how good are the band clamps they give you?

- can i run these for a little while w/o a retune?

cant wait to put these in should sound good haha just need the cam package to make it here now, shipping from texas so its a little slow to make it all the way to canada. also any tips or advice before i put these in would be great to, thanks alex.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

000_0015.jpg

couple quick question.

- how good are the band clamps they give you?

- can i run these for a little while w/o a retune?

cant wait to put these in should sound good haha just need the cam package to make it here now, shipping from texas so its a little slow to make it all the way to canada. also any tips or advice before i put these in would be great to, thanks alex.

Band clamps are ok, I havnt had a leak yet. You will get an engine light if not re-tuned for the o2's.

Install them from the bottom. Iv seen so many guys try from the top and it doesnt work. Soak your manifold bolts everyday for a week before you do the install. That will help with them coming loose and reducing the chance of one breaking off or breaking off in the head. Thats no bueno. You will have to engineer a way to tie back the plug wires on the two back cylinders on the drivers side, easy fix though. Only problem I had was one of the primaries on the drivers header was hitting the metal heat shield on the trans tunnel/firewall. Took it off and bent it a bit and reinstalled. Good luck

Along with soaking the manifold bolts daily with WD-40, you should also soak your 02 sensor bungs and the manifold collector flange bolts too. Another tip.........DO NOT USE AIR TOOLS......air tools do more harm then good, hand tools should be more then enough to get the job done. Make sure that when you install the headers, you tighten all of the header flange bolts from the inside out, run the truck through a heat cycle, then go back over the bolts again in the same sequence. Also make sure to use anti-seize compound on all of the header flange bolts.

The band clamps are okay, but they kept loosening themselves every few weeks on my Dynatech kit. I had the 2 slip joints welded, problem solved.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I realize i am a little late but I am going to buy these for mine after I pick it up next weekend. I just recently bought OBX headers for my TA and they fit really well! In regards to you question about the clamps, on my TA I ran a bead of High Temp silicone around where the pipes slide together and then put the clamp on. My buddy said he put OBX on another camaro and they ended up leaking so he did that and problem solved. I will probably do that on the truck when I install them also. This is on the band clamps only

Hope this helps!thumb.gif

i used the butt joint style band clamps (ones with no step) on the slip joint part at the collectors and they seal much better than the stepped band clamps, they actually form to the pipe and have absolutely no leaks at all. when i used the stepped band clamps the first time they leaked like crazy. a small bead of high temp silicone wouldnt be a bad idea either just for added security.