Code P0046

90zxdriver

I've been battling this code since I bought the truck three months ago. It comes on intermittently, I have it reset and then it just comes back on again. Sometimes the next day, sometimes weeks later. Its just getting annoying at this point. The truck runs great so I'm sure its just something minor. Anyway, they have tightened and adjusted the filler neck hoses and replaced the gas cap. The code keeps coming back though. Any thoughts? I really don't want to go pay the dealer to track down this stupid problem and I really can't lay my truck up right now either. I've been waiting a week to post this but work has been so crazy lately I haven't had a chance until now.

Edited by 90zxdriver (see edit history)

P0046 isn't a code listed for these trucks.......do you mean P0446? If so, that is a code for EVAP Vent System peformance. It is usually caused by a bad Vent Solenoid Valve or a bad Purge Valve Solenoid. There is a General Motors TSB out on the problem in which the VSV must be replaced and the EVAP vent tube gets relocated up to the transmission tunnel.....

I was feeling ambitious today so I climbed under the truck and took off the evap canister thing to clean it out. Much to my surprise, it was spotless. Not a spec of dirt/dust in it. So could the sensor part of it just be junk?

You need to find a shop with a diagnostic scan tool than can test the VSV and PVS, one of the two is probably faulty(most likely the VSV), but you won't know which unless a series of tests are done....and the parts can get pricey, so replacing parts at random hoping it will correct the problem is crazy....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

gotcha, looks like I'm going to be fighting with the dealer I bought the truck from to get this foxed because the light started coming on 3 weeks after I bought it (which is about 4 months ago now). It has been back numerous times in the last 4 months for this issue so hopefully they don't give me too much trouble about it.

• 5 weeks later...

I took the truck in last week and they replaced the evap purge valve. Then two days later the light came back on again. Brought it back over the weekend and they sent it out to a GM dealer to have them deal with it. They replaced the evap purge valve, again. I got the truck back three days ago and now the light just came on again this morning. Its throwing P0446 every time.

I know it sounds stupid but I'm so frustrated with the truck I'm about to just trade it in! This is the 6th (or 7th?) time I have had to bring the truck back for this CEL and the evap purge valve has already been replaced twice. The Honda dealer where I bought it keeps insisting that I'm not tightening the gas cap after I fill up even though I tried to explain that I do and the gas cap is a separate code (they have already replaced the gas cap too).

They are having me bring it back to the GM dealer Saturday. I really hope this isn't going to be one of those ongoing problems that nobody can figure out!

If they keep replacing the purge valve and the code keeps coming back, obviously that is not the problem. They need to replace the vent solenoid valve, that is the code I threw, and the VSV was bad, not the purge valve.....don't give up hope and trade the truck in just because the mechanic shops they use are incompetent....