No Cats = Drone?

paulguy

So a few years ago, I put a car starter on my exhaust guy's car. My system was stock, so he put a flo-pro muffler on the SSS. I'm not sure which muffler it is it's about 22". It's not one off the 'HD' series, I don't think those where out yet. The exhaust sounded really good but it had some drone(2000-2500rpm), he gave me a like a flowmaster heat shield to put on it, helped a bit. But the mufflere was free, so I lived with it.

Then just recently I had a plugged cat so I gutted them. It's a bit louder, but the drone is way worse, like deafening on the highway (maybe I'm just too old).

So my question is... do i need to replace the cats to get rid of the drone? I don't care how loud the truck is on the outside, but i want it quiet inside.

And if I do replace the cats, does a hi-flo cat do anything for sound suppression, or shouldn't I bother. I'm gonna get a tune sooner or later so cats or no cats doesn't matter.

It does seem to be a little better on gas since the cat gut.

I don't have a lot of funds, so I can't just put a corsa or something on it, too broke.

What about like a flo-pro 2503 or 2504 or something? Anyone had experience with a no cat combination?