Ignition Issue With Nitrous

I had a nitrous kit installed and it is not working correctly. It is a zex kit with a window switch, 175 shot on a 408 with an mp 112 making 5 lbs of boost. The tune is good, AFR is good, fuel delivery is not an issue, 60lb injectors and the nitrous kit has a stand alone fuel system from nitrous outlet.

The nitrous works in first gear but in second and third, where there is more load, it starts breaking up at about 4500 rpms

I was told this is an ignition issue and that the spark is being blown out. I put new TR6 plugs in and had them gapped down to 20 and the problem did not go away. I ordered plug wires this morning to see if that is the issue. I don't have the funds to buy new coil packs so I hope it is the wires. From what I have read the stock coils can hold up to a lot more horsepower than I am making.

I was thinking about trying a smaller shot but don't want to have to go that route. Has anyone had this problem? Need some help guys.

WOW, I bet she tears off the line with all that juice! My bet is on the plug choice. Start with a NGK BR6EF (that is what I run for up to the 100 shots) and see what that will do for you. If it still has issues (most likely will), go to yet a colder plug (NGK BR7EF). Gap them at .030-.034 (you will need to open the gap a bit from the factory NGK setting of .030). I really do not think you are at the B8EF stage yet but it wouldn't hurt to buy a set to try. If you have the choice, stay away from the BR6EFS ones (last digit of "S"). Essentially the same plug however the center electrode is a bit narrower and the "V" grove is not cut into the tip. Does it make a difference? Eh, who knows. This is what I was told to run Nitrous Outlet as well.

I ran the BR7EF however I had to mess with my idle tuning again simply by installing the new plugs. I found that for me, the BR6EF gave good idle as well as the ability to kick on a 100-150 shot at a whim. When the big shots come, I will swap out to the BR7EF / 8s for the track only and deal with the idle issues on a temporary basis.

I really think your ignition is just fine however wouldn't hurt to verify you have a properly sized alt and battery. Good luck and do post back!!!!

Edited by Krambo
spelling (see edit history)

I swapped the jets today to a 100 shot and it still breaks up. Not as bad but it still does it. I will try the plug wires tomorrow but that probably won't fix it because it is never that easy. I am not saying its not the plugs but these TR6 plugs are gapped down to 20.

I don't understand how the alternator can be related????

banghead.gif

WOW, I bet she tears off the line with all that juice! My bet is on the plug choice. Start with a NGK BR6EF (that is what I run for up to the 100 shots) and see what that will do for you. If it still has issues, go to yet a colder plug (NGK BR7EF). Gap them at .030 (you will need to close the gap a bit from the factory NGK setting of .032). I really do not think you are at the BR8EF stage yet but it wouldn't hurt to buy a set to try. If you have the choice, stay away from the BR6EFS ones (last digit of "S"). Essentially the same plug however the center electrode is a bit narrower and the "V" grove is not cut into the tip. Does it make a difference? Eh, who knows. This is what I was told to run Nitrous Outlet as well.

I ran the BR7EF however I had to mess with my idle tuning again simply by installing the new plugs. I found that for me, the BR6EF gave good idle as well as the ability to kick on a 100-150 shot at a whim. When the big shots come, I will swap out to the BR7EF for the track only and deal with the idle issues on a temporary basis.

I really think your ignition is just fine however wouldn't hurt to verify you have a properly sized alt and battery. Good luck and do post back!!!!

I bought the plugs Kevin. They should be here today.....

Hey its worth a shot with the plugs (cheap enough in all perspective). Go right to the BR7EF and if it clears it up with no idle issues, run em. As for the alt...you have much more demand on the electrical system with all of the add-ons (intercooler pump, extra fuel pump(s), nitrous solenoids, bottle heater etc.) If your amp demand is greater than what you can produce (or have stored in the battery), something is going to not work properly.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of timing are you running with the 175 shot and the boost?

Hey its worth a shot with the plugs (cheap enough in all perspective). Go right to the BR7EF and if it clears it up with no idle issues, run em. As for the alt...you have much more demand on the electrical system with all of the add-ons (intercooler pump, extra fuel pump(s), nitrous solenoids, bottle heater etc.) If your amp demand is greater than what you can produce (or have stored in the battery), something is going to not work properly.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of timing are you running with the 175 shot and the boost?

Put the br7ef plugs in today and new wire's. we lowered the fuel pressure on the stand alone, tested the battery and alternator and put the 150 jets in. The plugs made a world of difference and truck is running much better. It is still breaking up a little bit but nothing like it was. I am going to order some 8's and see what happens.

Thanks for your help kevin.

Good news! You just may be at the 8 level. Any idle issues with those plugs?

No real change with the idle. I am going to remove my high flow cats and try the 8's. Not sure what is left to do if that doesn't work. I guess 30 amp coil packs but I don't want to go there. Maybe a smaller shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds similar to what I experienced on mine b4 I hollowed out my cats. One of them was plugging. When/if you do take them out, check them with a shop vac and see if the shop vac works harder on either of the cats.

Good luck, sounds like you're on the road to recovery tho.

sorry i didnt see this topic . i got to see the truck run and it sounds pretty bad from the exhaust note . it does sounds like detonation from the outside but i cant say without a log of the run or being in the truck so we are just guessing.

i just wish you would start with a smaller shot and work your way up to the bigger shot as you get things inline. something is definatly wrong and im sure its simple. youll get it figured out . just need a log of the truck . i know your coils are fine . could it be your plugs yes but im betting its not the only thing.

sorry i didnt see this topic . i got to see the truck run and it sounds pretty bad from the exhaust note . it does sounds like detonation from the outside but i cant say without a log of the run or being in the truck so we are just guessing.

i just wish you would start with a smaller shot and work your way up to the bigger shot as you get things inline. something is definatly wrong and im sure its simple. youll get it figured out . just need a log of the truck . i know your coils are fine . could it be your plugs yes but im betting its not the only thing.

Thanks for all your help Chase it was good to see you out there. Post up the video when you get a chance. The problem was in the tune, a number of things.

It is pretty close now.

Ran a 7.56 at Irwindale. I am pretty happy with that for a first run.

i know your happy with 7.5 but if your running 7.8 without the 150+ shot something is wrong . im willing to bet with a spot on tune you can run 7.5 without the bottle . but if your happy thats what matters.

here is the shitty vid from my cell