Air Conditioning Problem

r8rs4lf

Hello all

No I haven't purchased another SSS, but I do check out this site often.

I'm having a problem with my wifes Yukon XL that maybe you guys can help me with. It basically has the same AC set up with the exception of a different rear control. Just recently it stopped blowing cold. It wasn't a gradual thing, it just happened one day. We just got back from a 7 day vacation and I just started to take a look at it today. I remember I had a problem with my SSS when I would disconnect the battery, it would blow hot. After a while or even after I re-disconneceted the battery and hooked it back up, it went back to blowing cold. Kind of wierd and of wonder if others have that problem.

Anyways, in the Yukon, there are two different, actually three different controls. The front on the dash is for just the front. Above in the ceiling console is for the rear and right behind the center floor console there is another control for the rear. When the front stopped blowing cold, I would turn the rear on with the overhead console (with the front on as well) and it would blow cold in the front and the rear. I know, wierd right? Now it all doesn't blow cold at all no matter what I do. I've turned on the AC while the truck is on and I can hear the compressor turn on. I've touched one of the tubes at the condensor and it's cold. It doesn't build up any frost, but it's cold. I haven't looked under the truck to see if there is any water dripping while it's on, but I would assume there is no drip because I would have noticed it.

Now it is possible that it needs recharging since it's a 2006 and I have no idea if it's been serviced. We've had it since October of '07. It was basically brand new and had something like 24K miles on the odometer. It used to blow real, real cold. All of a sudden it stopped.

I did disconnect the battery today to see if I could produce the same results as my SSS. The first time I did it and reconnected it, it blew HOT. Like the heater was on, but the temp said 60*. That's the same result I got with my SSS back in the day. I disconnected and reconnected it again and it blew HOT for a while, but went back to ambient temp. No cold air what so ever. I stopped after that and figure I would try here first before taking it in.

Any tips or tricks I can try before I take it in? This forum has provided me with alot of useful info and hopefully you guys can come through again.

TIA!

i would prob try recharging it again just to try before you get into anything major, the kits are pretty cheap to like 50 bucks for all the connects and two tanks. now if that doesnt work, you might want to check all the connections and maybe pull out the front temp control thing that you said doesnt work any maybe replace that, im not to sure, but maybe try those. a/c problems can sometimes be tricky.

door mode actuator can have something to do with it . these are what switch it from hot to cold . very infamous for taking a shit and making some noise in the front dash .

now it is possible your low on freon but i have seen this condition in quite a few cars with the auto climate control , including my good friend who just bought an 06 gmc crew cab and it does the same thing and sometimes will be fine if you turn the car of and then on .

here are some tsb's to check up on

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=33907

door mode actuator can have something to do with it . these are what switch it from hot to cold . very infamous for taking a shit and making some noise in the front dash .

now it is possible your low on freon but i have seen this condition in quite a few cars with the auto climate control , including my good friend who just bought an 06 gmc crew cab and it does the same thing and sometimes will be fine if you turn the car of and then on .

here are some tsb's to check up on

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=33907

OK, so since the tube is getting cold, would that rule out that it's a freon problem? I can understand that it may be low, but if it's getting cold, there is some freon correct?

I would check out that actuator, but I don't have a manual for this vehicle. Any ideas where it is?

what i am a little confused about is where you are actually touching your lines. if you are touching either line off the condenser which is in front of the radiator (small [high pressure] lines) they will both be hot/warm. but if you are touching the large line (suction) then it will be cold. at the same time, if this line is cool, but there is no air flow over the evaporator (removing heat from the cab) then the suction line will usually get extremely cold and will accumulate frost (especially in humid environments). you may have a low charge while at the same time have an actuator fault.

kind of what i was getting at . ive taken a few a/c classes at work and im learning about doing the a/c systems on the trucks .

not to mention if the pressures is not where its supposed to be the pump will still cycle but cant build the pressure it needs too . a/c's can have slow leaks and the u/v dye can be extermely helpful with this .

i just recently did my entire a/c system on my 04 f-450 . symptoms where just stopped blowing really cold one day , blew cold enough to keep the windows up but it was 100+ for a few days a couple weeks back and i about died . began inspecting the clutch , it looked to be engaging but was slipping and was hard to see until i got it off. ( it was fun doing the compressor on this truck as its under the motor and you have to pull it from on top .

either way a ok set of 134 guages will pay for themselves in time . either to just check pressures or to charge your own a/c's . its alot easier than i thought , just have to make sure your a/c system is clean clean clean debris kills a/c !!!!

what i am a little confused about is where you are actually touching your lines. if you are touching either line off the condenser which is in front of the radiator (small [high pressure] lines) they will both be hot/warm. but if you are touching the large line (suction) then it will be cold. at the same time, if this line is cool, but there is no air flow over the evaporator (removing heat from the cab) then the suction line will usually get extremely cold and will accumulate frost (especially in humid environments). you may have a low charge while at the same time have an actuator fault.

OK, maybe I thought I knew what I was talking about. Maybe it wasn't the condensor. The line I was touching is located on the passengers side near the dash in the engine compartment and I believe it was a large line. What is that round thing called? It was a line that looked like it was going into (maybe out, hell I don't know) that round canister thing. At the same time, while I was touching that line, I could hear a hiss that sounded like a leak at that connection. I put my hand over the connection and it sounded like the hissing got lower. I guess I should have turned the AC off to see if the hissing stopped. I can do that today if it would help. I did try to tighten it, but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to mess anything up because it seemed like those connections were made out of aluminum.

Hopefully that cleared things up. I can always take pics if need be.

Any ideas?

door mode actuator can have something to do with it . these are what switch it from hot to cold . very infamous for taking a shit and making some noise in the front dash . ... i have seen this condition in quite a few cars with the auto climate control , ... and sometimes will be fine if you turn the car of and then on . ...

Thanks for mentioning this, I am certain you are describing an issue I have in my truck; I hear a soft repetitive 'clacking' that sounds like it is coming from somewhere behind the steering column (if that makes sense); turning the climate control off, waiting 5-secs, and turning back on 'resets' the problem. Looks like it's finally time to tear my dash apart. :ughdance:

Mr. P. :)

OK, maybe I thought I knew what I was talking about. Maybe it wasn't the condensor. The line I was touching is located on the passengers side near the dash in the engine compartment and I believe it was a large line. What is that round thing called? It was a line that looked like it was going into (maybe out, hell I don't know) that round canister thing. At the same time, while I was touching that line, I could hear a hiss that sounded like a leak at that connection. I put my hand over the connection and it sounded like the hissing got lower. I guess I should have turned the AC off to see if the hissing stopped. I can do that today if it would help. I did try to tighten it, but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to mess anything up because it seemed like those connections were made out of aluminum.

Hopefully that cleared things up. I can always take pics if need be.

Any ideas?

that would be your receiver drier.

unless you see a dirty/oily/filmy buildup around the connection you can hear a hiss from, you don't have to worry about it.

that would be your receiver drier.

unless you see a dirty/oily/filmy buildup around the connection you can hear a hiss from, you don't have to worry about it.

OK, it's clean as a whistle there.

So that line that I touched should have been cold?

Any ideas as to what could be the problem? Could it just need a charge? What puzzles me is that it just stopped all of a sudden. As for MR. P's response, I don't have that noise. Should I just take it in? Any thing I should check out?

...So that line that I touched should have been cold?...

you should be able to tell the difference between the two hose sizes. the larger hoses (low pressure) should be cold and the smaller hoses (high pressure) should be hot/warm (not recommended to touch).

• 3 years later...

My SS is having a similar issue, I think. The A/C blows cold for a while then without input the driver side switches from cold to hot, full fan. The passenger side keeps blowing cold. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last week, on my 03 SSS, AC was working great, blowing cold air when I stopped at my destination. About 2 hours later I got in and no AC, the clutch was not engaging. Also noticed that my DRLs were not working at the this time. The next day, the DRLs were back on and the AC blowing cold. Could this be a short somewhere?