Transfer Case Rebuild

So the time has come to start making my plans for this winter. Currently I have a few small plans for my truck that I have started collecting parts for, first I will be installing headers, torque convertor, notching out the rear frame so it stops hitting the bump stops since the drop, and possibly new shocks and sway bars.

The other thing I would like to do when I have the transfer case off for the torque convertor install is replace the rear output shaft bearing. I have noticed that I am starting to develop a little radial play in the output shaft and I would like to address it before it causes other issues. This site has pretty good instructions on how to rebuild the NVG-149 --> http://www.denalitrucks.com/documents.htm And I have purchased an output shaft bearing, but I am wondering if anybody else has done this before?

I have access to a press as well as the necessary gear pullers, does anybody have any advice or tips for doing this? It appears I just use RTV and no gasket to seal it but is there anything else that will be needed, and is there any place I can buy individual parts or rebuild kits for the transfer case?confused.gif

My other quick question, does anybody know if there is a rebuild manual for the front diff on the SS, or if there are parts available for the diff, I may need another project come spring time? dbanana.gif

While you're at it, if the transfer case has more than 65K-miles on it, replace the chain.

Mr. P. smile.gif

Yeah, I'm at 58K but I was thinking about doing it anyways just to get it out of the way. Where is the best place to buy parts for these units?

Radial play at the rear output bearing of the t-case.............................not a good sign. What happens is the rear bearing pocket in the case half gets wallowed out or egg shaped. Eventually, you'll develop a leak---ask me how I know shakehead.gif

Some guys will use some shim stock and loctite it in between the bearing and the case when rebuilding it, but the proper way would be to replace the case half (about 400 or 500 bucks!!!).

With the seal out, you can see the area I'm talking about pretty good with a flashlight. I would check that first so you know what you're dealing with. FYI, any t-case (NV149) with 70K or more will usually show signs of this and much worse usually so finding a good used one isn't always a great option because as you know they bring top $$$$ even used.

Hope this helps.

While you're at it, if the transfer case has more than 65K-miles on it, replace the chain.

Mr. P. smile.gif

Vey good advise, and I would also look into replacing the oil pump anti-wear clip with the newer revised model whether or not the piece is still in good condition. They have a tendency of breaking and allowing the pump to wear through the back half of the case.