Detailing Paint

tdiggs14

This has been on my mind for a couple of years now. Over time I have developed swirl marks (bad ones!! it's very ugly) and I need to remove them and get it back to showroom condition (not just saying that, I mean not a scratch in the paint perfect, like the day I got it). I know one of you smart guys knows a lot about detailing and how I should go about this. I definitely need it buffed out, then touch-up paint where it's needed, and re-polished back to a glassy black shine! What is a good process to do this? Should I just get a professional (have a guy that could do it for a couple hundred, minus the touch-up paint though )?

well it all depends if you like doing it yourself, it it will cost you abit more but is pretty fun if you like doing it. go on adamspolishes.com and contact dylan he is on this site and pt.net and a newly hired adams man. maybe he will see this and let you know , but he could set you up with exactly what you need to do what your talking about

I'd love to do it myself. I am afraid of messing it up even more! If I have a solid fool proof guide to get the surface clean, buffed free of any and ALL swirl marks, I can easily do touch-up paint and polish, and get it re waxed or polished back to a mirror shine. Then that would help wonders!

if you wanna know a process. it goes like this, just for paint correction

wash with adams wash mit and adams car shampoo ( prep in wash bucket to get lots of suds)

wash car by hand, and rinse off with a hose.

quickly mist with adams detail spray to get the ph level balance so there is no hard water spots.

dry with adams drying towel.

move into a garage or very shaded area.

clay with adams clay bar and detail spray to lubricate it.

you can now go to polishing

get the porter cable 7424 xp it seems to be a good begginer polisher.

polish with adams swril&haze remover with the orange pad

then polish with adams fine machine polish with white pad

do this until your satisfied with the paint and then apply machine super wax or americana for protection and depth.

this is just quick list but if you wanna learn more sign up at adamspolishes.com on his forums site and youll enter a world of detailing hahaha

Thanks for the link to adams and that information. He has videos on his website too! I will try to buff out a small area of my paint and see how it goes one day soon. Do harbor freight buffer's work as well as the porter cable ones? I want something cheaper really..

Do harbor freight buffer's work as well as the porter cable ones? I want something cheaper really..

If you talking about one like this..

image_1037.jpg

Don't waste your money. They just don't spin fast enough to cut the swirls.

Get the PC and the pads mentioned. I found a new PC on Craigslist for like $70.00 then bought the pads and Adams products and it worked wonders. It's a lot of work.

There are other products out there that ppl swear by so do some research on the "Detailing Forum" jon1178 posted and make a choice then enjoy your time in the garage :)