Terrible Body Shop Work !

sleepingcrna

So i buy R8rs4lf SS awhile back. Hood has some paint issues so i take it to a local independent body shop after a few estimates. His comes in the best and i've used him for some paint-less dent repair in the past. His repaint of the hood comes in around $550. I say i'll get back to him. He says if you pay cash i'll do $450. I get it, off the books. I say ok. He wants it for 3 days. This turns into 5 days when i initially said if you need more than 3 i need a different time. I get it home and it has runs on the front edge of the hood and cowl edges, a few quarter sized spots that have discoloration and fine cracks in them, and lint in the final work. I take it back and he all "wow, i don't know what is causing the cracks, that's odd. The runs are just clear coat and can be fixed easily." Whatever. I say i don't think it's just a clear coat issue. He says, probably not. I'll take it to the metal. I take it in on a Tuesday for what he says is a 4 day job. I call on Thursday. He hasn't really done anything. Starts talking about how he is probably gonna have to strip to metal. NO SHIT !! which is where it was supposed to go the first time !! He says i'll get it done by Monday.

I know this is long but i'm getting to the good part.....so i call twice a day until today (FRIDAY), with nothing but bullshit excuses and "i'll get back to you in a bit" lies and i'm really sorry, it shouldn't have taken this long and i sincerely apologize, its just that a lot of other work has been coming in. I call him today and say "what a colossal Fuggin mess this has turned into" when i find out he's got them trying to buff out the runs again, and he goes off the deep end call me a fukker and a son of a bitch, on and on and on. I tell him to get my SS out front i'm coming to get it. I get there and he has a few of his shop turds standing there with him and starts to go off on me again. I return the favor, go a few verbal rounds and they bring my SS around. I get home and the hood looks like shit. Same runs that were there before only sanded down to metal, an actual 4" line in the paint that looks like string under the paint, and more large lint than before. All this after he told me yesterday it was down to metal and needed paint. I'm not a big fan of litigation, but this is gonna go to small claims court. If not for money and lack of quality service, then for principle. Gonna get an estimate at a much more reputable place tomorrow. Get my ducks lined up. Just had to rant for a bit. Still pretty hot over it.

I had almost the same thing happened. I brought my hood and tail gate to " A GUY WHO DOES AWESOME OUTSTANDING WORK"!!!! Yeah sure he didn't. I paid 600 and I was pissed. I don't want to get into it but I got a quote from another guy that I have seen some of his work and I like the work.

It comes down to people not wanting to paint a hood. My hood was a shop for a week till my pops told them to put it out front hes coming to get it. The next guy that painted it didn't prep it right and then now the hood and tailgate is painted and looks good fffffaaaaaarrrr away..

Good luck and I hope it turns out for the best

Wow, what a bunch of crap!

sucks that it'll be word against word tho.

Good luck and way to restrain yourself, well kinda. M16.gif

Make sure you pass the word to the locals as I'm sure you already are.

Sorry to hear Mike, that guy has some pair of balls going off on a customer like that. I guess he has never heard the saying "The customer is always right". :nonod: Definitely call the BBB and Consumer Affairs, and give him hell in court. :smash:

Sorry to hear about your Body Shop experience Mike.

I can understand being 1 day maybe 2 days off on the finish date but then to get the quality you did really Blows. (Made in America) Meaning that there are lots of products I purchase at work where I can see the quality has diminished from what we used to get in the past. It's all about the $

I hope you get it all resolved quickly.

As far as I could tell, this place was as reputable as any other in the area. Just the way it turned out I guess. I've managed to calm down a bit over the past few hours but doesn't change the outcome. Still gonna go after this asswipe however I can. Anyway, it's over here guys. Thanks. Just had to vent.

Glad your over it but definitely report them. I know what your talking about with body shops telling you they'll have it done by X date you call they give you the run around tell you another date, call again still not done, and this goes on for weeks. I've had this happened with some shops up here, luckily the SS has factory paint and no body shops have ever got there hands on it.....Although some rocks have had there way with the cladding.....lol

the body shop i got my hood painted at here was suppost to be the best around.

they took 2 days longer then they said it was going to take and it came back with 2 runs, one on the front and the other on the driver side.

now i need to get my cladding painted and i have no idea where to go.

the body shop i got my hood painted at here was suppost to be the best around.

they took 2 days longer then they said it was going to take and it came back with 2 runs, one on the front and the other on the driver side.

now i need to get my cladding painted and i have no idea where to go.

Look at the bright side, your wheels look awesome! I actually do like them. Kind of unique. Good luck on the shop search. Guess it's kind of a crapshoot all over. I got my new estimate today... From another hopefully reputable shop...$570. How do ya like that, over $1000 to paint a damn hood, and that's not even stripped to the metal.

Look at the bright side, your wheels look awesome! I actually do like them. Kind of unique. Good luck on the shop search. Guess it's kind of a crapshoot all over. I got my new estimate today... From another hopefully reputable shop...$570. How do ya like that, over $1000 to paint a damn hood, and that's not even stripped to the metal.

Man i really have to chime in on this thread, first let me tell you my name is Bernie and i can't begin to tell you the number of times i have heard horror body shop stories on different automotive sites.

When ever i read a thread about someone getting or about to get body work and or paint work i stress out to the fact for that person to always do their research on a shop and even the guy that holds the paint gun in the end. How good is he and how long has he painted.

Before you do anything make sure you take lot's of pictures of his screw up. the more you have before and after the work the easier it will be for you to fight this. But i'm sure collecting from this guy won't be easy,

write down everything you encountered with this guy dates phone conversations even the blow up at the shop.

Any reputable shop will have a list of very happy customers, and even a web of the buisness and shots of cars they have repaired, try and talk to some of the previous customers if you can,

I spent 25 year's of my working career in the body shop trade, the last 5 was strictly collision and custom work. I changes career's after being fed up with co=workers who only cared about the money and not the customer for way to long.

Just so you know most repaint job's are never taken down to bare metal unless there is a specific reason for it. 500 is about the norm for spraying a hood and thats if the guy knows what he's doing.

Do your research, sry your having such a shitty deal with this guy. Good luck