Did My First "Tune"

BlueAKSSS

So I decided I should start trying learn more about tuning, earlier this year I bought HP Tuners and experimented with it somewhat but never really did much, but I did read quite a bit about tuning. So to start off I raised the shift RPM's from the 1-2 shift from 5600 to 5800, then the 2-3 from 5400 to 5600. Seemed to wake it up a bit, then I borrowed the slightly raised line pressure table from the Zippy tune for the 69' stuck that in the SS tune, made it shift so much nicer. Then I was reading on the HP Tuners forum about tuning an SS and someone said this in reference to tuning the stock tune:

On the 6L SS trucks, the PE is delayed till over 5000 rpm. Set the delay rpm to 0, the enable torque to 0%, and the enrichment rate to 2. This will make a huge difference in power.

So I added that to the tune and the truck seems noticeably faster, I'm not really sure what else to try in this tune, anyone have any ideas? biggrin.gif

2003 Chevy Silverado SS 6L LQ9 TUNED BY ME.hpt

Nice work!

At this point, I would move toward a good Ve tuning session in SD mode. There are dozens of write-ups on various forums. If you don't have a wideband, use the STFT method. Once the Ve is dialed in, calibrate the MAF (I did a small write-up in this forum). Then you can start some timing advance for power, recheck the Ve and MAF and play with more tranny parameters.

Welcome to the world of tuning!

Nice work!

At this point, I would move toward a good Ve tuning session in SD mode. There are dozens of write-ups on various forums. If you don't have a wideband, use the STFT method. Once the Ve is dialed in, calibrate the MAF (I did a small write-up in this forum). Then you can start some timing advance for power, recheck the Ve and MAF and play with more tranny parameters.

Welcome to the world of tuning!

Thanks for the advise!

I've read some of you posts (I think) on Ve tuning, I think I'll give that a try tomorrow. I do have a wideband in the truck just it's just not connected to HP Tuners, but I've heard I can tap it into the A/C sensor and log it via that. I was going to try the STFT method first....

What does enrichment 2 mean? I read a post on HPT that said all of the PE delays could get zero'd out and while the RPM is the most important, that all could be zero'd.

it gets fun when you make progress.

He is talking about enrichment rate...i.e. how many clock revolutions it takes until the enrichment factor is fully executed. From what I read and understand the difference from 1 to 2 in that setting is somewhere in the range of .05 of a second so making the value 2 instead of the stock setting is equivalent to roughly 0.1 second. We are splitting hairs here IMHO. Regardless, I have mine set at 2.5 and always set every tune I do to the same value out of habbit.

Can anyone else shed some more info on this? In particular how fast the observed rate is in relation to the setting (revolutions)?

http://www.hptuners....9682#post109682

was pulling my info from this. but looking at it again, this value is NOT zero. And I will look for more info :)

Enrichment Rate: This is the rate at which Fuel is added to reach the desired enrichment value. The smaller this value is, the slower the VCM will reach the desired PE AFR. For instance if your non pe commanded EQ ratio is 1.0 and your pe commanded EQ ratio is 1.300 and your enrichment rate is set to .3 it would take 1 step ~10ms for most pcms to reach full PE.

in the example it was set to .o195, will check what mine is set to.

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

http://www.hptuners....9682#post109682

was pulling my info from this. but looking at it again, this value is NOT zero. And I will look for more info :)

in the example it was set to .o195, will check what mine is set to.

Yea, that is the definition I was thinking about (enrichment rate). So .3 is equal to 10 milliseconds or 0.010 seconds. That means 2.5 (the setting I use) is equal to 0.083 seconds (1/125th of a second). By definition, that is as fast as a camera's shutter speed. ...we are splitting hairs thinking that changing this setting makes a significant difference on how fast the Pe value is met.

The human blinking of an eye is 0.300 - 0.400 seconds to put it in perspective.

All good info and I will keep my value at 2.5. :thumbs:

Good info guys, didn't know any of this! Mines set to 2.0, think I'll leave it there since it's such a small adjustment. Think I'll do some VE and MAF tuning here pretty soon...just been way to busy to do anything with the truck.