Corvette Tranny Into Silverado Ss?

So i was wondering about beefing up my tranny, and this crossed my mind. Is it possible? What possible problems will i run into, if it is? I have done a lot of research on our trannys and upgrades, and I know they are pretty weak overall. So instead of just doing shift kits, servos, torque conv, etc etc.. why not just swap the whole thing out w/ one that I know can handle a ton more HP..........just a thought. Any inputs/opinions will help THANX (Oh and I did use the search button, didn't get very far)dunno.gif

:ughdance: .... This is a hard question to answer. The 4l6x in the corvette is the same as the 4l6x in trucks with a few minor upgrades like the 1-2 servo and tunning. PLUS have you ever noticed where the trans in a vette is mounted??? NOW if you want to mount it in the rear and use a transaxle, that will be bad ass... I know that Boyd Codington did this in a 94 chevy and it was a nice project but I do not know how it handled. In theory it should work really well and make for a nice Track truck, atleast as good as a truck can be... BTW the SSS concept did have the corvette transaxle monted in the rear... The only other alternative is to go with the 4l8x from the heavyduty trucks.

:ughdance: .... This is a hard question to answer. The 4l6x in the corvette is the same as the 4l6x in trucks with a few minor upgrades like the 1-2 servo and tunning. PLUS have you ever noticed where the trans in a vette is mounted??? NOW if you want to mount it in the rear and use a transaxle, that will be bad ass... I know that Boyd Codington did this in a 94 chevy and it was a nice project but I do not know how it handled. In theory it should work really well and make for a nice Track truck, atleast as good as a truck can be... BTW the SSS concept did have the corvette transaxle monted in the rear... The only other alternative is to go with the 4l8x from the heavyduty trucks.

i was told they r the same trannyas our trucks but wasnt really sure as the source wasnt very credible

i was told they r the same trannyas our trucks but wasnt really sure as the source wasnt very credible

Yes and no, the internals and casing is the same, but the bellhousing and tailshaft are not since the corvette trans does not mount to the flywheel of the engine. It is divorced from the motor and attached at the rear of the car via a torque tube and a transaxle.

Notice where the trans is in this pic

CorvetteDrivetrainGenerics2.jpg

If you want to swap trannys to a stronger one do a 4l80e conversion a stock 4l60e will always be a stock 4l60e no matter what its out of. I have a feeling that part of the reason they some what hold up to the power of the vette or even in the F bodys is because of the little fine tuning they have which you can pretty much do to the 4l60e in your truck but also because both the vette and f body are alot lighter than an SS. Some what of the same concept as putting a T56 6 speed out of an F body in a silverado they dont last long unless you drive it like a granny or build the hell out of it I think its just cause the trucks are too heavy. To me the only tranny swap worth spending time doing is either a built 4l65e or an 4l80e swap, I wouldnt swap a stock 4l60e out of anything no matter what it was into anything because it will always be a stock 4l60e unless its built