Synthetic Fluid

Hey i am going to change all my fluids in my front diff. rear end and transmission going with royal purple tranny fluid, auto trac 2 in transfer purple in everything else. My question is i am going to flush out old tranny fluid and replace with purple, how many quarts will i need to buy to fill tranny back up???? I think 2 quarts of auto trac will do the transfer. Not sure about how much i will need for front diff and rear end???? Anybody got any advice?????

The diff fluid amounts I have in my fluid R&R how-to, I want to say 2+ bottles in the front diff and 3+ in the rear??? Can't remember...

Transfer case uses 2-quarts (or thereabouts).

Total transmission fluid change completely depends on what converter you have in the truck; factory I believe is 12-quarts but that is going from memory, it might only be 10. :dunno: With an aftermarket converter, in my own truck total refill capacity is only 6-7 quarts! Best advise on that is, refill with 6-quarts and go ahead and start the truck, at idle shift between reverse and drive a couple times and the truck *should* move, there will be enough fluid in it that you won't ruin anything at idle - keep filling a quart at a time until you get movement in both Drive and Reverse, then start adding 1/2-1 quart at a time checking the dipstick. DO NOT OVERFILL at all, or you will have 'frothy' ATF.

I believe in using synthetic fluids throughout *except* for the transmission unless it came with synthetic ATF from the factory (2WD 4L65 trucks); I used synthetic ATF in my own truck to extend service intervals because I f'n HATE transmission fluid haha and the transmission shift behavior 'softened' considerably; if your truck came with Dex-III originally I would continue to run that and add Platinum Lube Guard friction modifier.

Mr. P.

Did my trans recently, it called for 10 quarts

Cool thanks for the info prolly gonna get 12 just to be safe. That is the last thing to check on my truck before i get a wheatley tune.

Cool thanks for the info prolly gonna get 12 just to be safe. That is the last thing to check on my truck before i get a wheatley tune.

I did the same, bought 12 and used a flushing machine so after the old 10 were out and 10 new in I ran 2 more clean quarts through it cuz I'm nuts lol about maint.