Truck Storage Question

scooter3

Hey all,

My truck is stored in my garage and rarely gets driven. Maybe once a month if that. Would it be a good idea to use some sort of oil additive or fuel additive while stored? Just want to make sure the fuel does not break down and that the oil is kept on all the working parts. I went to start it the other day and noticed a very slight tick coming from the engine, but once it warmed up it went away. Truck only has 17,000 miles.

Thanks.

The tick you heard is from oil draining out of the motor via the oil filter - better filters have a one-way valve to prevent this, called an anti-drainback valve, and only the Mobil-1, K&N, & Purolator filters have an adequate anti-drainback valve. Another idea might be to install an "oil prelube kit" which is an accumulator (stores oil at engine pressure) and before you start the truck the pre-luber releases that oil back into the engine so it does not start-up dry. That's overkill, but in your application (start once a month) that might be appropriate.

Stagnant fuel is a whole 'nother bag of snakes. Yes you need to run additives, the best advice would be from the jet boat guys because they have the same situation (running a vehicle very infrequently). What has been found is that the everyday moisture in the air (which is also in the fuel tank) is absorbed by today's gasoline. Gasoline formulas of pre-1980's did not have any ethanol, but today almost all gasoline contains ethanol, except *maybe* Chevron but I would have to check that fact. Point is that todays gasolines, because of the ethanol content, suck water right out of the air where in the past they didn't; and the more ethanol content (E15 or E85) the worse this problem is. On a daily-driven vehicle this is not a big problem because the water-in-fuel is constantly pumped to the engine to be consumed by the motor, but in a fuel tank that is always parked (like a boat, or stored vehicle) the water has time to separate-out and sink to the bottom of the tank. What this means is that after a couple seasons of absorbing minute amounts of water vapor every night the gas tank will have a serious amount of water in it (from absorbed water vapor over time) and this will rot out fuel lines and rough engine operation.

Long story short, current best advise is to leave as little fuel in the tank as possible (1/8th tank) and yes pour in fuel stabilizer additive that will also "dry" the fuel; when you drive the truck add just enough fuel for your day's adventures and run the tank level down to 1/8th tank again and re-add stabilizer.

Mr. P. :)

Thanks for the info. Mr P. As far as the oil filter I always use Mobil 1 and I never fill the truck up. Usualy between 1/4 and 1/2. I will pick up some Sta-Bil for the fuel. Should I throw in some zMax for the oil or just leave that alone?

Thanks for the info. Mr P. As far as the oil filter I always use Mobil 1 and I never fill the truck up. Usualy between 1/4 and 1/2. I will pick up some Sta-Bil for the fuel. Should I throw in some zMax for the oil or just leave that alone?

Sorry I have no idea/opinions on zMax, other than to say I've never looked at it or used it.

Mr. P. :)

the Sta-Bil is a good idea, I use it also, and I keep the gas below 1/2 tank and change the oil every 3 to 5 months. I have 7,492 miles on my 05

have a good one

Geez and I thought I had low miles. I will grab some Sta-Bil this weekend and through that in. Thanks for all the info. guys!

Years ago (don't ask me how I know), various brands of "dry gas" were available to add to the tank to cut down on the amount of H2O in the fuel system, due to condensation, etc. With all the changes in technology, I don't even know if they make it anymore.

Edit: Some info... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_gas

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

this

for all you haters hatin that I dont drive my truck, never again!

I hear you. I get a lot of flack from friends about this also. They all ask how I can just let it sit in the garage. Drive it, enjoy it, they say. I do enjoy it....I enjoy that it is still as clean as the day it was built. I have my Mustang GT to beat the crap out of.