Flowmaster Guys With X-Pipe

DBTKDT

Just wondering if you guys had any advice or thoughts on how much sound the x-pipe takes away the drone? I was thinking of doing true duals on my 1500 hd that has the LQ4 in it. I will have stock manifols and cats but want to do an x-pipe then two flowmasters. I have a 04 gto with longtubes, x-pipe, and super 40's and love that sound with the big cam! Will the truck be more tame with the stock manifolds and cats is my question? Do you think it would be loud? Also what is everyone running on trucks if they run flowmasters? I've heard many sound clips but hard to tell on video. I like to hear things in person if i can. Thanks for any thoughts that come my way.

Just my .02 look at Dynomax "X" Flow. No drone and sounds and out performs the FlowCrapper. I had the 50 series on my ss and yes it sounded good, but then it rusted out fell apart after 4 years. Switched over the the X flow and wow. My buddy had Dual 40 series flow masters and I was louder then him.

I also run stock manifolds and cats.. sounds good..

Just my .02 look at Dynomax "X" Flow. No drone and sounds and out performs the FlowCrapper. I had the 50 series on my ss and yes it sounded good, but then it rusted out fell apart after 4 years. Switched over the the X flow and wow. My buddy had Dual 40 series flow masters and I was louder then him.

Word. Friends don't let friends run Flowcrappers.

Are you saying your louder now with the "X" Flow or your old 50 series is louder than the dual super 40'? I dont want to be too loud, I'm a contractor so i dont want to piss off new clients. I have Corsa Sport on my wifes 04 Denali with stock manifolds and cats and its just perfect! Can you compare to that sound?

My truck is Louder with the X flow then the flowmaster, And yes I am louder then the 40 series. BUT that is only when I throttle it. When the truck is sitting it has a nice rumble. When you get on it people look, but cruzing around and what not its nice. You wont piss anyone off at all. I don't even wake my wife when I head off to work in the am..

I think that if you put the flowmaster on you will get drone and it will rot out faster.

The X flow is not a raspy as the corsa, more of a deep rumble.. It sounds good but everyone has Corsa..

What size pipe did you run to your xflow and back?

Stock. dual in out behind the rear tires. So 2.5 in too 5 4 inch tips

My truck is Louder with the X flow then the flowmaster, And yes I am louder then the 40 series. BUT that is only when I throttle it. When the truck is sitting it has a nice rumble. When you get on it people look, but cruzing around and what not its nice. You wont piss anyone off at all. I don't even wake my wife when I head off to work in the am..

I think that if you put the flowmaster on you will get drone and it will rot out faster.

The X flow is not a raspy as the corsa, more of a deep rumble.. It sounds good but everyone has Corsa..

Stock. dual in out behind the rear tires. So 2.5 in too 5 4 inch tips

Thank you for your imput! I like what you discribed and how you disrcibed it! I dont like the raspy sound. Corsa is good for no drone and i done want drone either. I like the thought of the x-pipe design tto, its like you are getting the best of both worlds. Plus i cant just go get a Corsa muffler! Thank you!

IMO, the x-pipe mellows out the sound and maybe takes a little harshness off of it. If the system has drone, I don't think it changes it much other then maybe taking a little bite off of it. I have a bunch of different videos (see link) that you can check out. I had the Corsa Sport and had absolutely no drone. Tone was nice at idle/cruise, but I absolutely hated the blattly take a shit sound it had at WOT. I love the mellow chambered sound of the flowmasters or crapmasters as some call them. I don't think my system is too harsh or loud. I used the biggest 70 series (I'd recommend 50 series as they are a tad wider if I was doing it again) I could fit under there. They have built in resonators and can be built in stainless by request so rusting out is a non-issue. To be fair, they do have a little bit of drone at around 1800 rpm. I don't drive in that area much so it doesn't bother me but it is there. You could add some resonators or additional mufflers to quench that down and further quiet the system. I may do that next year after I wring out what I can from this combo and can see what affect the additional mufflers will have on the power. To each his own, but it sounds like you love flowmasters so I say go with them. So far, my truck has gone 12.30's with them so they must not be that bad :pepsicheer:

http://www.silverado...exhaust-system/

Just wondering if you guys had any advice or thoughts on how much sound the x-pipe takes away the drone? I was thinking of doing true duals on my 1500 hd that has the LQ4 in it. I will have stock manifols and cats but want to do an x-pipe then two flowmasters. I have a 04 gto with longtubes, x-pipe, and super 40's and love that sound with the big cam! Will the truck be more tame with the stock manifolds and cats is my question? Do you think it would be loud? Also what is everyone running on trucks if they run flowmasters? I've heard many sound clips but hard to tell on video. I like to hear things in person if i can. Thanks for any thoughts that come my way.

Edited by slowfive0 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I was running Duall 40's before I put an x-pipe in and I was begining to hate the mufflers. The sound was fine for me, but it did have a lot of drone. There was what seemed to be low end loss. I put the x-pipe in before the dual 40's and what a difference in performance that made. The throttle response is better and it smoothed out the sound. The sound tone seems to change a little bit, but mostly just a smoother sound. I do thing some of the drone is gone also. Right now I have stock manifolds will soon be changed to Edlebrock shorties I got from my brother so we'll see how that changes things.

Here is a video of mine with the exhaust just completed (no s/c or cam)...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IDVzM7PegUw

and recent race with supercharger and same exhaust...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=tQR6T-0LuJo

Im not going to lie, its loud cruising around and plenty of drone, but I wouldnt have it any other way....With upgrades being done in groups, I havent noticed any loss of power/torque...matter of fact I notice better torque when launching...To each his own...Good luck with your choice..

Edited by lilmarv1117 (see edit history)