Top Gear - American Version

Stitches040

The british top gear is my favorite show on tv ever!

Same here. Those guys are hilarious!!!

I do enjoy then american version a lot too. When watching it you have to forget about the british version or you will spend the whole time making comparisons. If you just watch it and say to yoursel: im watching this show about 3 guys playing with and talking cars. And then it is a much better show.

I agree that they are a little too serious.

Come on guys! You have the greatest jobs in the world! Lighten up and enjoy!

Do you know what I would give to have there job!

I agree to pretty much all of this. The blind drifting episode was hilarious, and I think they have potential to be pretty good. But, they probably won't be as good as the brits. The cool thing about Clarkson, May, and Hammond is that they are 3 fairly average guys, not the usual tv types. Filling the show with pro race drivers would just make it a bit boring imo. The fact that three average guys get to do this for a living is part of the appeal. (like maybe when they retire, I could take over for one of thembiggrinjester.gif)

Hey All ...

So it's finally a slow night at work ... We are sitting here watching the new "American" version of Top Gear on the History Channel. I personally, am not overly impressed. I know I'm only 30 minutes into the first episode, but is it me, or is it just missing something?

I know I truly love the original BBC show, and I am comparing it to that standard ... but something is truly lacking on this show ...

Any thoughts ... ???

:withstupid: The BBC version (original) is much better by far (and much more funny). I hate that fat guy... who is he anyway?

The only cast memeber that seems tho know anything is Tanner Foust. He can sure drive the piss out of a Dodge Viper.

The one good thing about the US version is that old Britsh guy isn't there to make fun of American vehicles anymore...

Here is a link to one of my favorite moments from the original Top Gear. Nothing this funny will ever come from the American version, I promise.

:withstupid: The BBC version (original) is much better by far (and much more funny). I hate that fat guy... who is he anyway?

The only cast memeber that seems tho know anything is Tanner Foust. He can sure drive the piss out of a Dodge Viper.

The one good thing about the US version is that old Britsh guy isn't there to make fun of American vehicles anymore...

Here is a link to one of my favorite moments from the original Top Gear. Nothing this funny will ever come from the American version, I promise.

The first time I saw that episode I could not stop laughing.I want to own one so bad. What was the car a few episodes after this,were he was able to drive it through an office building and into a elevator?

IMHO, The reason that the BBC Top Gear is so much better is because it has three car nuts doing what they love, talking and driving all kinds of cars. The American version has three PAID spokepersons who really aren't car nuts. Taner is a good driver, but not what I would call a car nut...

Now if three car nuts hosted the show, it would be much better.

...Here is a link to one of my favorite moments from the original Top Gear. Nothing this funny will ever come from the American version, I promise.

The first time I saw that episode I could not stop laughing.I want to own one so bad. What was the car a few episodes after this,were he was able to drive it through an office building and into a elevator?

The Robin episode OMG I laughed the whole time, I think my GF actually peed her pants at one point :laugh: The micro-car one was f'n hilarious too, when you see it cruising behind the filming of another show :lol:

IMHO, The reason that the BBC Top Gear is so much better is because it has three car nuts doing what they love, talking and driving all kinds of cars. The American version has three PAID spokepersons who really aren't car nuts. Taner is a good driver, but not what I would call a car nut...

Now if three car nuts hosted the show, it would be much better.

I partly agree. The show is definitely missing its calling. It could be so much more.

I think the biggest difference is that Clarkson, May, and Hammond actually write their own material, where the 'domestic' version employs a background staff of writers and the hosts just follow the script handed to them. The 'professional writing' really slows and steers the development of chemistry in the new show, you can tell, it's a little too polished and a little too slick and while not outright phony it still is obviously very contrived.

Clarkson said in an interview that Top Gear is not really about cars, it's about the male mind - he joked that men's minds are empty a lot of the time LOL and that empty stage fills with all kinds of great ideas and fun and amusing stuff to explore and that's what he keeps in mind when conceiving the BBC show. Great Cars. Half-brained ideas. Cutting-down on your co-workers and best? friends. Great Travel. Blowing stuff up. Voicing the gearhead's commentary on society. The whole show is a trip through the male mind. I mean really, somebody was just sitting still one day and said "hey let's drive to the north pole" and I'm sure that idea never originated from a female mind, they're just not wired that way!

I think Tanner is a good fit for the show. I think all three of them actually *could* make for a great show but the producers are sending the show off in the wrong direction. They are obviously trying to sell advertising which is not a bad thing, but jeeze... I can tell none of the writers, staff, or hosts have gotten their hands really greasy like building demolition derby cars, or cutting-up a perfectly good mini-truck to slam it, or 'custom' car audio or any of the other 'formative' automotive things a lot of us here have done in our 20s.

If I had a wish, I would give each of them $500 to enter the 24 Hours of Lemons (not LeMans, lemons!) - that would be goddamned funny to watch!

One really good thing to see is that they are having a lot of real car-guy celebs driving the Suzuki - Jay Leno, Kid Rock, Tim Allen. That's something I've enjoyed seeing.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)