105 To 145 Alternator

You might need to change the belt, a different belt size might (or might not) be called for; get the same belt listed in the parts manual for the donor truck. And if your belt tensioner has 60K+ miles on it, replace it as well.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

So I guess im SOL on if the belt fits or not.

The variable is the size of the pulley on the alternator - they're not all the same size from vehicle to vehicle.

The larger Delco 244 alternator requires a little longer belt (1/2-inch???) but if it has a smaller pulley than the pulley you are running now then that will cancel out and the same length belt will fit! PITA I know. If your belt is a little short then the parts store can swap you for the next longest belt until you find the one that fits, it will *probably* be the one used on the donor truck.

Mr. P.

You will need a longer belt. 3/4" longer if I recall. I upgraded mint to the DR44G, and used an overdrive pulley (smaller) on it, and the tensioner is really tight still with the longer belt.

It isn't the size of the pulley that makes you need a new belt with the swap. The case on the 145amp alt is bigger, and the pulley shaft is higher up than the stock alt.