Walbro Fuel Pump Question

Jordan836

Ive been having some strange low idle issues with my 03 SS the past few weeks its now idling at around 550rpms when in gear which seems a little low, I plan to look into it a little more this weekend and see what the issue could possibly be now that I have a little time on my hands but one member on here stated it might have something to do with the fuel pump, and I also read somewhere possibly on here that the 03s had an issue with fuel pumps? I could be wrong but anyways say my truck needs a fuel pump I think it would be pointless to spend around all that money on a stock fuel pump when in the spring I plan on doing some more mods and eventually mods that will require me to upgrade the fuel system anyways so instead of spending all that money on a OEM fuel pump can I run a walbro? They seem to be cheaper than an OEM one too I havent really looked into fuel pumps at all so Im not too familiar with them and wouldnt really now which walbro to get but would I be able to run one with the mods I have which are basic bolt tune etc. but no cam or anything like that? Or would it be too much, or is there a way to control it in the tune. Also would anything get complicated with the 03s having a return style fuel system? Or would that almost make things easier? I tried searching around but I couldnt really find to much info.

Check your fuel pressure first before jumping into swapping a fuel pump. It could be the pump or just a dirty fuel filter if you have never changed it.

You would have no problem running a Walbro 225, which you can possibly find at a local performance shop or just order one online. You would just have to buy about a foot of fuel line and 2 fuel line hose clamps to do the install along with some heat shrink butt connectors if you don't have any already. I ran one of those pumps stock and didnt have any problems. It's fairly easy to do if you have an empty tank and about an hour.

Your injectors are what let a certain amount of fuel into your motor, not the pump. The numbers on the pump just show how much it can flow. Besides, if you plan on doing other mods down the road, you will need to upgrade the pump eventually, so doing it now, needed or not, isn't all that bad of an idea.

As for the low idle, try cleaning your TB and mass air, along with your air filter too. Hope this all helps.

Ya Im going to check all those things before I mess with the fuel pump but ive just been kind of wondering about it the past week that if I do have to replace the pump I just figured it would be easier to replace it with a walbro instead of just putting a stock one in when I have to replace it again down the road. But thanks for the help!

When you check the local auto parts stores for prices, it is almost always the pump and canister they give you and it's usually in the $300 range. You can find a Walbro from $100-$125 usually and less than $10 for the hardware to install it.

It's "easier" to just do a swap with a stock one from Autozone, but not worth the extra $$$. The only difference is changing the pump inside the canister with new fuel line and 2 hose clamps and connecting 2 wires. Either way, you have to drop the tank. The Walbro is just cheaper and has the ability to pump more fuel if needed for later mods.

Ya exactly either way its good for future reference! I cleaned the MAF today and that seemed to help the idle but I havent driven it yet but it seemed to idle a little smoother and it seemed to rev a little smoother too. But when I drive it ill know for sure