Sss Or Dmax?

C-DUB

Currently looking to purchases my next vehicle, which has to be a DD.

It will either be a Black SS (Hopefully 04/05) will be AWD, or a Black 03-05 DMax.

The SSS would get sway bars, lowered, CAI, Tune and that is pretty much it. DMax would have 6" lift, 35s (usually all used ones around here come this way) and I would probably get Juice w/ Attitude for it.

My question is, is the Dmax worth the extra say $5000? The mods I would put into each truck would probably cost about the same, but what about maintenance. 4L65E would probably get a couple things, but I assume the allison to get built would be WAY more expensive over the 65. Over the long run (say 10 years) would the Dmax cost a ton more?

I really don't pull anything huge, a 17' 2000lbs boat a couple times during the summer, other then that nothing.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I have both, actually two of each. a diesel and a gas are two very different animals. Parts will be more for the dmax over a gas motor but overall i say my maintenance balances out. I run fully synthetic oil in my ss and the cost of that vs the extra mileage i get out of my diesel motor oil balances out.

AS far as mods for a dmax, the tranny will cost you a lot to build. The 5 spd dmax will hold 90+ hp any more than that you are talkin several thousand to build it.

In my case, i bought the SS first, dont drive it everyday, and decided to buy a dmax for a daily.

The only reason i pick the dmax over the SS is you make a comment about cost oer 10 years. If you plan to DD this truck for 10 years, I vote DMAX just for reliability and the diesel will take the miles If we arent talking lots of miles, then SS.

I have both, actually two of each. a diesel and a gas are two very different animals. Parts will be more for the dmax over a gas motor but overall i say my maintenance balances out. I run fully synthetic oil in my ss and the cost of that vs the extra mileage i get out of my diesel motor oil balances out.

AS far as mods for a dmax, the tranny will cost you a lot to build. The 5 spd dmax will hold 90+ hp any more than that you are talkin several thousand to build it.

In my case, i bought the SS first, dont drive it everyday, and decided to buy a dmax for a daily.

The only reason i pick the dmax over the SS is you make a comment about cost oer 10 years. If you plan to DD this truck for 10 years, I vote DMAX just for reliability and the diesel will take the miles If we arent talking lots of miles, then SS.

:withstupid:

I have one of each. the d-max is my daily driver. IMO, i always wanted a diesel but it will be my 1st and last. the added maintance and fuel cost doesn't justify me owning one. I pull a 27' race trailer and a 24' landscape trailer from time to time, but not on a daily basis. So my next dd will be a gas. At les you do a lot of towing, go with the ss. If your wondering fuel milage wise, i get roughly 18-22 in my d-max and around 14-16 towing. Thats with a ATS turbo, full exhaust, and a PPE 300hp tune.

Edited by thomp62301 (see edit history)