Suggestion, Rename Forum From "How-To" To "Tutorials"

misterp

Question

There are many people that post questions into the How-To forum, begging for help on 'how to do' something related to their truck project; these posts are irritating because they pollute the purpose of that forum and make it difficult for the rest of us to browse as a site reference. Even though there is a clear-cut explaination of the purpose of the How-To forum on the main site homepage (stating that only posts where you are sharing knowledge with the forum will be allowed) it is clear that many just don't consider reading before clicking and posting their "how do I ...??" thread in the wrong forum.

So I propose that the forum containing shared site knowledge articles be renamed "SilveradoSS.com Online Tutorials" (or similar phrasing) so that the intent of this forum is clear to site members, visitors, and newbies.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

8 answers to this question

Either that, or lock the threads to prevent newbs from cluttering it up. That way when people ask the same over and over questions we can just link the topics. I agree it does get old reading the same how much will this add, or which CAI is better....... I think people forget where the search button is!!!!! rant.gif

I just brought this up to Krambo last week or so.

I'm with you guys on the renaming the "How To" to "Tutorials"

It gets real annoying having people ask how to do something on that forum and not look through the site or search it for the info.

That's a good idea Steve. One other thing I'd like to see is if the tutorial has pictures associated with it, sss.com needs to take ownership of them so if the poster leaves the forum we don't lose the pictures like we have in some of them.

That's a good idea Steve. One other thing I'd like to see is if the tutorial has pictures associated with it, sss.com needs to take ownership of them so if the poster leaves the forum we don't lose the pictures like we have in some of them.

I would have no problem with this on ONE condition -

If I were Silikhan (the owners of silveradoss.com) I would do the following: on threads that bring in outside traffic (like the how-to posts) I would offer to 'buy' that intellectual property in trade for say 1/2-off a year's site membership fee. Work the program like this:

1) you have to be a PAID forum member to post a how-to (<-- this needs to be a forum rule anyways)

2) you can post whatever how-to you desire, no rules or limits on how fancy or bare it is, etc.

3) if your how-to goes viral (gets more than, say, 6000 page views??? or more than 100 responses?? or both??) then Silikahn reviews your tutorial (makes sure it's up to their standard, not plagerized, etc) and at their sole discretion sends you an offer to permanently host your tutorial in trade for a 1/2-off your next year's site membership fee.

Now that's what *I* would do. Or something along that line of thought.

Adding to my original post, I would call the forum "Forum Tutorials" or "SilveradoSS.com Tutorials".

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)