Beating Around The Idea Of Getting A Beater

jddmj

As we all know, the 'rado's do not get the best of gas mileage. My 06 4.8 2wd gets about 18-20, maybe a lil more or less. Its all in how much im playing pimp.gif. I love my truck, and the mods i have done to it so far, but lets face it, gas is getting high. Winter is here, and I cant get out, i had it in the ditch this morning, and dodging other ditches. I love in a very rural area. So I have been beating the idea around about getting a beater. My neighbor has a 2000 cavalier, 143000 miles, and all it needs is new plugs and wires. They are asking 1500 for it, but im pretty sure i can get it for 1000. Would it be worth it to get the beater? For what im saving on gas, and being able to get out with the fwd? Is it going to end up costing me more in the long run, or save money in the long run? Give me your opinions please.

I personally think its a great idea! I have an '99 Honda with 182000 with not a single engine problem since it came off the dealer lot....I had it since 81000 miles...I cannot imagine how much money I am saving by not driving my truck daily!! IMO its definately worth your investment!

I think you will save in the long run, I havent been able to drive the wifes cobalt for the last month due to it being a 5 speed and having tendonitis in my left knee. I have noticed I am having to dig deeper in my wallet for the daily commute as a result. You asked me this earlier and since I have thought about it, you will save some cash...

name='Fireman31' timestamp='1294541170' post='758967'

Do it, you'll be glad you did! :takealook:

yea definatly a good decision. even tho my choice gets pretty horrible gas mileage (14.4) it keeps my truck in doors during the garbage weather. which is all it had to do. but getting a fuel efficient beater is an awesome idea. i say go for it

Edited by 8hnpSS (see edit history)

I personally think its a great idea! I have an '99 Honda with 182000 with not a single engine problem since it came off the dealer lot....I had it since 81000 miles...I cannot imagine how much money I am saving by not driving my truck daily!! IMO its definately worth your investment!

:withstupid: I have a 92 civic hatchback and I save alot. I drive about 80-100 miles a day to work and back I spend around 40-50 dollars a week in gas. I rather spend that then whatever the SS would cost to get me to work and back. Do it trust me it's worth it

Thanks for the input guys, I think i may go look at it some time today. If I can even fit in the car haha, Im sort of the "double xl" body build lol.

I owned a 99 Cav so if I can fit in it, you can too :wink2: The seat was ALL the way back and my right knee would get a bruise from rubbing on the E-brake handle but it served its purpose.

I drive 700 miles a week so a beater is NECESSARY for me. I always bought true beater, spending no more than $2k and not caring one bit what it looked like. I would never lock it, wash it and the occasional oil change kept them going for anywhere of 50K to 90K. However I finally broke down and bought a 08 cobalt, new. 30MPG is comforting however the ride isn't the most pleasing.

My 03 Dakota R/T is my beater @ 12-13 mpg lol

My 95 Caprice w/LT1 DD doesn't get that good of mileage either but the added miles I save from putting on my truck and not having to worry day to day about parking, weather and damages is such a relief. I still take excellent care of my DD. Weekly wash, all scheduled maint. and park safely. I say definitely go for it!