Hit A Post....

Bob_the_builder

So about a month ago I drove into a post in a parking lot....don't ask how...I am still upset about it. Basically the entire front end needs to be fixed up. The rad is ok but I need to replace the rad support bumper, lights and right fender. I have been purchasing all GM parts from a local dealer but I have been having problems with the fit of the right front fender. I was hoping someone on the site could help me out. When i bolted the new fender onto the truck the fender sits out past the front bumper and looks really funny. If I look on the left side (fender I did not have to replace) the bumper sits out past the fender which is correct. I started to measure the new fender and noticed that the dimension from the inner fender to where it bolts onto the rad support to the outer edge measure about 4.5" on the new fender but on the original fender it measures ~ 4 to 4-1/8". Based on this dimension the new fender sticks out about 1/2" more then the original one did. I have tried to move the bumper over but if I shift the bumper over I only cause a problem on the other side. I have mentioned this to the dealership that I got the fender from and they agreed that the 2 fenders are different so they ordered a new one. The second new fender also measured 4.5". I wanted to make sure my original fender was no made wrong so I took the wheel well out of a 2004 Silverado 3500 HD and found the fender to be identical to my SS and measured ~4 to 4-1/8".

At this point I am not sure what to do. I can either put on the new fender that I got from the dealer but have it stick out past the bumper or try to get a fender from the junkyard and see if I could find one that measures ~4 to 4-1/8" If anyone has some input that would be a great help. I took a picture of the fender and the measurement I am referring too. Would there be any way I installed the rad support wrong that pushing the fender out more. I just find it odd the the fenders measure different. The part number I was give was 88944419

Fender Measurment

-Bob

if you could get somebetter pics im sure i could help you out. ive worked on quite a few of these trucks. try and get a few pics from a little farther off so i can see how the fender and bumper are lining up. also some pics of how everything else is lining up like the hood headlights and grille. Mark

I have called 2 junkyards in my area and they do not have any fenders in stock. They said they could order in an after-market fender for about half the cost of the GM fender. I just have been told the after-market stuff doesn't usually fit as well as the GM ones but on the other hand I am having some problems with the GM one too. I have a 2004 HD 3500 and it has the right fender measurement on it. I am wondering if I should just take it off my work truck and just deal with the fit issues on that fender.

-Bob