feeling slight clunk through steering wheel

Brandon27

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is doing the same exact thing, and I only have 2500 miles. Read this string:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...?showtopic=6629

Read the reply that gbounds gave me regarding this same issue, about it maybe a dry intermediate shaft on the steering collum. I'm going to call my dealer in the next day or two to have mine looked at.

My wifes 03 Z71 Tahoe had that issue and they replaced the steering drive shaft that goes between the steering column and the steering gear box. This has been a problem with the full size trucks from the Gerenal for a long time. I have a toolbox full of them from when I used to turn wrench at a G.M. dealership about 4 years ago!! The repair is not a big one and does not take much time!! No biggy.

JOSH

I'm getting the same Thunking, Clunking feeling in the steering wheel too, with 10k miles on my 03 SS. Time to make an appt with the dealer, and I'm bringing notes with me from the Forum.

Its great to have a Forum like this to share notes.

Thanks to all that have noted the same issue.

...Andy

I also have felt that "thump" in the steering when slightly turning,i thought is was me..I have 18,000 miles.. guess its time to bring it in and have the tailgate cables replaced at the same time..

terr

I had the clunk serviced this morning, so far, so good. Here's a print from the invoice listing the service done. It looks like there was a bulletin put out on this issue. :thumbs:

60864051.jpg

I was just at the dealer yesterday for mine, they did the grease job on mine and told me to call in the next few weeks to let them know if there is still anything in the wheel and they will replace the shaft. The service guy said that every Silverado has this problem and they should just be replacing the shaft instead of just doing the grease job first.

I just took mine in for this, at 7k miles, It started to thump when I turned, they siad they replaced the intermediate shaft and re greased the shaft and re installed it and it is gone! Hope it does not come back.. it sounds really bad when it was there!!

Archived