Oil Pressure Somewhat Low?

Well I'm wondering if my Oil Pump is going out or the pressure relief valve because sometime last week my oil pressure got lower. Now at Hot idle in gear the oil pressure read 20, as I rev it up to around 2,000 it gets up to 35 psi and WOT its around 45 maybe a bit more. It used to idle at 35 psi and at WOT be around 65 psi. The only other possible cause could be the cluster stepper motor but its been replaced by the dealer before so IDK. Any ideas?

Well I'm wondering if my Oil Pump is going out or the pressure relief valve because sometime last week my oil pressure got lower. Now at Hot idle in gear the oil pressure read 20, as I rev it up to around 2,000 it gets up to 35 psi and WOT its around 45 maybe a bit more. It used to idle at 35 psi and at WOT be around 65 psi. The only other possible cause could be the cluster stepper motor but its been replaced by the dealer before so IDK. Any ideas?

How long ago was it replaced? You can always replace it again. Cost $10 and takes 30 min to install.

This is why I want to run a mechanical gauge inside the cab.

I don't remember if you have tuning/logging software or not, but if you do, or a tech II, get it on the truck ASAP and check your oil pressure with that. YOu can also use a mechanical gauge, this will tell you if it is the gauge cluster or not. If its not, those are signs of a bearing failing, usually a cam bearing. when the pressure relive valve fails, you just go to 0 oil pressure.

I don't remember if you have tuning/logging software or not, but if you do, or a tech II, get it on the truck ASAP and check your oil pressure with that. YOu can also use a mechanical gauge, this will tell you if it is the gauge cluster or not. If its not, those are signs of a bearing failing, usually a cam bearing. when the pressure relive valve fails, you just go to 0 oil pressure.

I do have HP Tuners, so I'm going to try and scan it with that, hopefully it can read the oil pressure. Starting up my laptop right now...

Well i tried to log the oil pressure with HP Tuners but as much as I tried I could not get it to log it, I added a Oil pressure gauge to the Display in hp tuners but as soon as you start the truck the needle disappears, and when I setup a histogram it just either said not supported or just stayed at nothing so I'm not sure I can log the oil pressure with HP Tuners.

On another note I think it may just be the gauge because when I kept restarting the truck and trying to scan it with HP Tuners now the gauge is reading 35 psi like it used to at idle?

If you had a bearing failure, the oil pressure would not 'rebound' to normal; sounds like yes you might have had some trash in the oil that hung the bypass valve partially open. I would do a fresh oil change (synthetic 5W-30) and use a premium (Mobil-1, K&N, or Purolator Pur-One) filter from now on to keep the oil as clean as possible. I have seen a case where the low-pressure issue would come & go, especially on colder mornings, and finally after several months the check valve hung open permanently and we were forced to replace the pump.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

If you had a bearing failure, the oil pressure would not 'rebound' to normal; sounds like yes you might have had some trash in the oil that hung the bypass valve partially open. I would do a fresh oil change (synthetic 5W-30) and use a premium (Mobil-1, K&N, or Purolator Pur-One) filter from now on to keep the oil as clean as possible. I have seen a case where the low-pressure issue would come & go, especially on colder mornings, and finally after several months the check valve hung open permanently and we were forced to replace the pump.

Mr. P.

That sounds like an excellent idea, I'll give that a try! The truck has never that I know of run synthetic oil, the original owner said it was always serviced with regular 5w-30 at the dealer and I have been running 5w-30 the entire time I have owned it. So is switching to synthetic still ok at 150K?