"Wreck Magnet" 2003 Arrival Blue Ss

dmfwayne

Hello everyone. Thank you all for such an awesome website. I've been a lurker for a while, and now it's time to ask the experts for some help. I bought a 2003 SS from a really good friend, who acquired the SS when his father lost a long fight with the big "C". I got the truck in 2008, with 19K original miles on it, and it still smelled new. I always told his dad I wanted the truck if he decided to sell it or get rid of it... I didn't want it like this, but... The sticker was still in the center console! Since then, I have bought a K&N intake and a Bully Dog Power Programmer. I know the Bully Dog programmer is garbage... It's like a Walmart version of a power programmer... and, their customer service is lackluster at best. I would call it shitty, but that's my opinion. Anyway, I need some help getting parts for my SS... I ran over an Endangered Blue Heron tonight, on I-95, going about 75-80 (wink, wink. maybe 85ish) and it DESTROYED my bumper cover. Pictures to follow tomorrow morning. There's a LOT of blood and feathers. Anyway, I need help getting good replacement parts. The bumper cover is cracked all the way down the middle, and the gray "duct" is missing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! (attached it a pic of the SS before the Blue Heron)

post-18383-095518100 1296875438_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the SSS family. Sry to hear about the accident and the way you acquired the SS.

Always keep a eye out in the for sale section there are always thing there. I don't have anything at the moment. If you reported the accident insurance should take care of the damages for you. eBay is another good option also. As far as a programer you could get a custom tune for the same price as a hand held and get better results. I use Wheatley IMO he is the best but the other tuners are great too and any of them will do you right. G/L with everything and keep us post on the SS.

Justin

Welcome, I'm sure you can learn a lot from the guys around here!!! Blue SS takes out Blue heron ,how ironic. You really should get a real tune on that beast though. Bully dog is like sending your kid to school with one slice of cheese and a jar of mayonnaise in his lunch box.

updated damage pics. Thanks for all the replies. I am hearing lots of great thing about Wheatley, and I see his banner ad right next to my reply, so that has to mean something!!!

Some of the feathers were still in the cracked front clip and you can see his poo all over my A-arms and suspension. It smells like old bait and burned flesh. Had to get out the hose and boat brush. nasty, nasty stuff!

post-18383-006972000 1297007370_thumb.jpg

post-18383-067285600 1297007380_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for all your help!!! The Bully Dawg programmer is currently on craigslist, and as soon as it sells I am sending my ECU out to Wheatley. Maybe next time I hit a Blue Egret it will just vaporize. I did a little research and found out they are no longer endangered, which makes me wish I would have stopped and picked up some feathers as a keep sake.

Has anyone one the forums ever used Insignia for replacement parts? My estimated damage at the body shop has varied from $650 - $1,150, depending on the type of parts used for replacing the damaged items. (Factory GM = $1,150 VS Insignia $650) Are the aftermarket parts inferior? Will I visibly notice a difference? Has anyone heard/seen the difference?

Either way it is “guaranteed for life”, as long as I still own the vehicle, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I am paying this out of pocket since my wife and I just had a $5,500 claim on our other vehicle a week before Christmas and I don’t want my rates going up. (Drunk driver hit and run on my street)