Two Questions...

Looking to buy a new Optima battery to replace my old Red Top, wondering if anyone recommends a certain model( Red or Yellow). I have (2)12' JL subs and a 500W amp with inline capacitor. I'm looking to upgrade so that I can install my HPM electric fans. Also, does this alternator look like a good buy or just over kill...? Will it fit my 04 SSS? here is the link for the ebay auction of a 250Amp alternator:250Amp Alternator .

Edited by jtmarine02 (see edit history)

That alternator you posted will interchange, but you might need a slightly different sized belt. You will need to upgrade both the main power and ground wiring in the truck; I am not going to get into any specifics because I have no idea how you wired your stereo.

Optimas, they're not as good as they originally were 10+ years ago; the company was bought recently and the quality of these batteries has suffered. Way back in the day (early-90s) I bought one of the *first* Optimas for my Firebird and that battery lasted 12-years, I got a new Optima (RedTop) for the truck and it lasted 2-years. :( I've had more luck with a Walmart battery than 2 Red-Tops in the truck over the last 6-years. If you do decide to go AGM, then do a yellow-top because the red-tops are killed by hot-charging. I know it's not just my experience, in the 4x4 crowd they hate Optimas because they don't last.

Mr. P.

mr p , try a yellow top next time if your ready to try optima again. ive had two of them for ever one in my SS since 04 still works awesome . and one i took from my 02 camaro that is sitting in my garage used for a transfer pump . they are both great. i have replaced alot of red tops for friends and always tell them to try yellows even if its overkill.

as for the alt . you cant beat a low mile 145 amp . remans can be rebuilt with inferior parts which can result in low charge at higher rpms from the weaker springs . not sure if this is the exact case but i have had 200 amp remans drop voltage at higher rpms. so are great though i know powermaster use a different case which looks older but performs identical . irragi makes some good stuff but its expensive.

as stated upgrading your battery and alternator are only half the battle . you cant take full advantage of them unless you up the cables . grounds and power need to be made with larger guage and a fused alt lead( usually 200+ amp) you can use fusable link but finding it bigger than 8ga is tough.

Thanks, I did plan on uprading the wiring just wanted to know if that alternator would fit in the SSS. Here's the type of wiring and connectors along with fuse I plan to use.

6 Feet of Red & Black 4 Gauge Super-Flex stranded Cable

1 ANL AE6573 GOLD Fuse Block with Cover

1 - ANL 250 AMP Gold Fuse

8 - # 4 Solid Copper Ring Terminals

1 - Heat Shrink Tubing to complete the Job.

mr p , try a yellow top next time if your ready to try optima again. ive had two of them for ever one in my SS since 04 still works awesome . and one i took from my 02 camaro that is sitting in my garage used for a transfer pump . they are both great. i have replaced alot of red tops for friends and always tell them to try yellows even if its overkill.

as for the alt . you cant beat a low mile 145 amp . remans can be rebuilt with inferior parts which can result in low charge at higher rpms from the weaker springs . not sure if this is the exact case but i have had 200 amp remans drop voltage at higher rpms. so are great though i know powermaster use a different case which looks older but performs identical . irragi makes some good stuff but its expensive.

as stated upgrading your battery and alternator are only half the battle . you cant take full advantage of them unless you up the cables . grounds and power need to be made with larger guage and a fused alt lead( usually 200+ amp) you can use fusable link but finding it bigger than 8ga is tough.

What model yellow top Optima battery do you recommend?

Thanks, I did plan on uprading the wiring just wanted to know if that alternator would fit in the SSS. Here's the type of wiring and connectors along with fuse I plan to use.

6 Feet of Red & Black 4 Gauge Super-Flex stranded Cable

1 ANL AE6573 GOLD Fuse Block with Cover

1 - ANL 250 AMP Gold Fuse

8 - # 4 Solid Copper Ring Terminals

1 - Heat Shrink Tubing to complete the Job.

If your gonna upgrade the big three, go with bigger wire, doesn't cost that much more for only 12'. I ran 1 gauge to everything in my truck.

I know the kit your looking at buying. Those copper ring terminals can be a bear to soldier wire to.

Do not install power lines under the hood without soldiering them to the connectors.

ANL fuses are old school, most fuse holders are miniANL now, but it'll work fine.

I recommend going to your local car audio shop and buying the wire bulk, if you ask them nice, they'll probably soldier the ends on for you for free.

Just take some scrap wire, coat hanger, whatever, an lay out your lines so that you know how much you need.(should only be a foot or two for each one).

You want the 34/78 series battery.

Yellow tops are great, no memory, I have two in my truck, bought them $110 each. They are only rated for like 750 cca, put them on the tester at work, and they both test over 1000 cca. thumbsup.gif