Fast Ls3 Intake Vs Ported L92 Truck Intake

broke1

I would bet my left nut that with tuning,the ported truck manifold would SLAUGHTER the FAST intake in every bit of the power band and make even MORE than 11 more HP at peak(we cant even really compare peak #'s since both were still gaining hp at the 6500rpm dyno cut off though so you both make a moot point)

Remember,no tuning was done what so ever from the FAST to the truck manifold.And according to the tuners that everyone uses(except me,I use SCT because I like having multiple tunes at my finger tips)when swapping intakes,a retune needs to be done.

No, I feel Mr.P mad a very good point. With the data you supplied, the overall gains would indicate a very comparable E.T. in this case with a 6500 shift point. Only one true way to find out :pepsicheer:

Nobody is knocking the stock ported intake, I in fact think it is a great alternative and bang for the buck is unmatched. Tuning is an amazing tool and I would love to see the data after a non-biased tuner gets ahold of the comparison.

And even if it was fully tuned and they were that close,itd still be a waste of money when they are so close in performance with one carrying a $600 more price tag.

Look at the article from the the Dec 10 Hotrod I posted,even more proof for the non beleivers.Me???Im glad I didnt listen to the experts and just buy a FAST and think it was the greatest....

I read the article and unless I missed it (please correct me if you see differently as I really skimmed over it), all dyno pulls were to 5700RPM???? what is that? Adding bias info?. :nono:

While we are on the subject of FAST vs ported stock intakes, here is a very strait forward dyno comparison of a ported Ls3 intake to a stock FAST 102 manifold with OPTIMUM tuning for each on a bolt on 6.0L. Interesting results.

Ported Ls3 vs stock FAST 102

:driving:

Edited by Krambo
Spelling (see edit history)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...While we are on the subject of FAST vs ported stock intakes, here is a very strait forward dyno comparison of a ported Ls3 intake to a stock FAST 102 manifold with OPTIMUM tuning for each on a bolt on 6.0L. Interesting results...

Patrick G makes one very good argument for the FAST intake - that is they are a consistent product, whereas the hand-ported intakes depending on the work done could be a world-beater, so-so, same-as-stock, or total looser; each one must be verified on the dyno or at the track, with the FAST products you know what you're getting when you bolt it onto the motor, albeit for $600 more...

Mr. P.

No, I feel Mr.P mad a very good point. With the data you supplied, the overall gains would indicate a very comparable E.T. in this case with a 6500 shift point. Only one true way to find out :pepsicheer:

Nobody is knocking the stock ported intake, I in fact think it is a great alternative and bang for the buck is unmatched. Tuning is an amazing tool and I would love to see the data after a non-biased tuner gets ahold of the comparison.

I read the article and unless I missed it (please correct me if you see differently as I really skimmed over it), all dyno pulls were to 5700RPM???? what the hell is that? Talk about adding bias info. :nono:

While we are on the subject of FAST vs ported stock intakes, here is a very strait forward dyno comparison of a ported Ls3 intake to a stock FAST 102 manifold with OPTIMUM tuning for each on a bolt on 6.0L. Interesting results.

Ported Ls3 vs stock FAST 102

:driving:

Did you read its a stock cam??Thats why the 5700rpm pulls....

Patrick G makes one very good argument for the FAST intake - that is they are a consistent product, whereas the hand-ported intakes depending on the work done could be a world-beater, so-so, same-as-stock, or total looser; each one must be verified on the dyno or at the track, with the FAST products you know what you're getting when you bolt it onto the motor, albeit for $600 more...

Mr. P.

Thats true but if you use a LS2portworks intake,its a known quality,not like others I see.I stand by my staement,FAST intake is a waste of money for those using a LS2portworks truck manifold.

I really dont care if you waste your money on a FAST.When a heavier truck with a stock intake smokes you,you were told.

Edited by broke1 (see edit history)

Did you read its a stock cam??Thats why the 5700rpm pulls....

I did, that is why it adds bias. Even a stock cam's powerband is extended beyond 5700rpm with those mods. The intakes don't shine until higher than 5700.

Brad, I see you lurking...going to chime in?

I have to say guys,I have learned a lot on this site, and its threads like this that have educated opinions(not just pissing matches) that really make this a great site. Thanks, Brad do it I need all the info I can get.

Edited by hottelsss (see edit history)

A stock Ls1 cam doesnt make power past 5700rpm in a Lq9.

Or did GM have it wrong in rating the LQ9 at 345hp@5200 rpm???Are you REALLY going to argue with what GM says????Come on....

Also.according to the MANY dyno pulls in the book,How to build High Performance Chevy ls1/Ls6 V8's,all the dyno pulls show peak HP at 5100rpm for the Lq9 and Lq4's.Were they wrong as well???

ANd those were runs without accesorys which if your theory on rasing the power band with headers/tune were true,then so would testing without any of the accessorys.But it doesnt....

Im just trying to save some people money....spend yours however you want.

Edited by broke1 (see edit history)

Thats true but if you use a LS2portworks intake,its a known quality,not like others I see.I stand by my staement,FAST intake is a waste of money for those using a LS2portworks truck manifold.

I really dont care if you waste your money on a FAST.When a heavier truck with a stock intake smokes you,you were told.

you are one cocky SOB.... Do you work for ls2portworks, because you sure seem to be pushing their product. How do they port the stock intake? Is it hand porting or is it cnc porting? do they open up the stock intake and then reseal it some how or just port what they can get to. Do they test every intake they sell for cfm and on a dyno?

Once the stock intake is ported, can it be ported more...because the FAST can still be ported and then lets see the results. Can you put a 90 or 102mm TB on your truck intake when you further your mods and make more power?

I've seen the stock truck intake put down some good power, 465 to the wheels unported, so i know its a good intake. I also know the fast intake can be ported and make even more power. If your talking budget build then ok the ported truck intake may work as good, but when your talking HP and getting down the track as fast as possible....i know were to put my money.

you are one cocky SOB.... Do you work for ls2portworks, because you sure seem to be pushing their product. How do they port the stock intake? Is it hand porting or is it cnc porting? do they open up the stock intake and then reseal it some how or just port what they can get to. Do they test every intake they sell for cfm and on a dyno?

Once the stock intake is ported, can it be ported more...because the FAST can still be ported and then lets see the results. Can you put a 90 or 102mm TB on your truck intake when you further your mods and make more power?

I've seen the stock truck intake put down some good power, 465 to the wheels unported, so i know its a good intake. I also know the fast intake can be ported and make even more power. If your talking budget build then ok the ported truck intake may work as good, but when your talking HP and getting down the track as fast as possible....i know were to put my money.

Isnt it against the rules to call someone a son of a bitch???Yep,just read the rules and it sure is....

How am I cocky,because I have proof to back up what im saying,not just putting in my 2 cents???

Mods,please erase this whole thread because apparently these people cant appreciate good info thats backled up with proof.

Also,ive owned FAST stand alone EFI for the last 14 years and spent alot more oney on FAST products than most here.Facts are facts though and a ported truck intake kills the all mighty FAST intake on dyno runs by what many consider one of the best LS engine builders in the country.

FYI,headers and tune dont raise the redline of any engine....camshafts and intake manifolds do.Sorry,but thats just bad info saying tune and headers raise the power band,esp over 500rpm.

oh so if i put on a set of 2" headers, my motor will still peak at the same rpm....DAMN...i'm gonna get a set of headers you can fit a beer can down then.

Tune....tune.....since your so technical....you must be right, changing the tune won't won't raise my redline at all. I guess changing the intake manifold will automatically raise my fuel cut off rpm, and i guess it will also change the rpm that my throttle blade closes. And since your so advanced, maybe you can tell us all why a intake would raise your "redline" but headers will not? Seems to me that if letting more air in will effect the "redline" then letting more air out would as well.

Also,ive owned FAST stand alone EFI for the last 14 years and spent alot more oney on FAST products than most here.Facts are facts though and a ported truck intake kills the all mighty FAST intake on dyno runs by what many consider one of the best LS engine builders in the country.

I didn't say the ported truck truck intake was bad, matter of fact i agreed with you. I just said a ported fast intake would kill that, and be better for more hp down the road, and with future hp plans you can also add a 90mm TB. Or step up to the 102mm fast and TB.

You didn't answer my questions about ls2portworks intake either.

i called you cocky not because of your info, but because of the way you presented it when others asked questions......kind of like how i was talking to you....makes you mad doesn't it?

Broke1, I refuse to further discuss this topic with you as a respectful educated response, quite simply just will not happen as we all can plainly see. It is unfortunate as this thread had alot of potential from the tech side. You are taking each reply as a personal attack instead of reading it for what it is. Many of your rebuttals are taking replies out of context to substantiate your beliefs or experiences.

Consider this a warning as I locked a previous thread due to your non value added derogatory reponses.

Thank you for your cooperation :pepsicheer: